Thursday, December 13, 2007

"The View" was better today.

I got up early – for me – this morning. I still have “attend a television taping” on my list of things to do. I attended a Letterman taping years ago when Mitch Maguire worked there. I will never forget it; U2 was the musical guest. Mom and I tried to go to The View when she was here, but it was a no-go. I thought I would try again. When I got there at 8 am (upper west side), I was #39…and holding. Long (and cold) story short, there are two tapings on Thursday’s and 40 people WITH tickets did not get into each taping. Obviously, as a standby ticket holder…I did not see The View today.

I did get a few errands done in the meantime. As I waited for the second taping, I bought a baby present for my friend and Broadway director Gabriel Barre, his wife Tricia and new baby Tristen. Also, I am buying copies of Tales of a Female Nomad by Rita Gehlman for the 4 women in Wapato, so I got that taken care of too.

Why doesn’t SF have a Borders? They have free membership and the coupons are so much better than Barnes and Noble. I think my brother Thad should invest and bring one to SF. Thoughts from the SF peanut gallery?

When I got rehearsal, I told Jack (the stage manager) that I would not be at rehearsal on Friday. He said – hesitantly – okay, and that from now on, if I am going to be late, leave early or not be there at all to let him know and not Rebecca. I restrained physically, but I was laughing hysterically on the inside. Can you imagine the conversation after I left rehearsal yesterday…Keep Kim away from Rebecca. I am glad to oblige.

So, I won’t assume to take credit, but the tone of rehearsal today took a huge, welcomed turn. The actors were playful on stage, laughter and improv led to new, effective blocking. Rebecca did not micromanage the room and – I kid you not – actually seemed to enjoy the process. It was a working environment for everyone….I did not feel like throwing myself under the 1 Train.

Also, Peggy – the playwright – decided to sit behind me today and ask lots of questions about her work and revisions. I was honest about what I thought was working and what wasn’t landing. She was unbelievably receptive. I offered some inclusion ideas which she loved. Then (and I wish I could ooze the attitude when I write this), she asked me how I came to have such a good ear and eye for theatre. I told her that I have directed over 60 shows, have been teaching theatre for 22 years and own my own company. She could not believe it. Peggy actually said to me, “I had no idea. How can you stand just sitting here? Don’t you want to throw yourself out the greenroom window?” I said, “Yes, some days, but I am thrilled to be a part of the process.” Life changed at that moment. The rest of the day, she bounced her work off me before giving it to Rebecca.

After rehearsal I went and grabbed a ticket for The Homecoming by Harold Pinter. It was a solid cast, but most importantly – for me – it included Raul Esparza. Raul has had the leads in such Broadway shows as Rocky Horror Picture Show, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, A Normal Heart, Taboo and Company. He also originated the lead role in Tick, Tick Boom.

The Homecoming, directed by Daniel Sullivan, was an exercise in control. The character work, the pace, the patterns all supported…the text, as it should because…it is Pinter! The first line of the play is, “Where is the scissors?” This serves as the metaphor for the entire production. The words cut, slice, stab, and pierce. The words are sharp, and in the end, blood has been drawn.

The design worked well. Even though the entire stage was exposed, the action was contained to a limited floor design that allowed for some liquid movement (especially during Ruth’s and Lenny’s speeches). It created an atmosphere of sexual claustrophobia.

I am not sure how I feel about the portrayal of wife –mother – woman as whore. However, Ruth owns these men. She made the rules. This is a complex piece. I need to continue to chew on it. To my dear majors…there is rich KCACTF material here.

After the show, I waited for Raul by the stage door (with the rest of his huge fan base). I waited for him to sign and pose before saying, “Hi.” He knew me right away and asked me why I hadn’t called him earlier (did I mention I had dinner with him years ago with Jarrod Emmick). I gave him a sheet about my research, and he said he would definitely call me. He would be a wonderful inclusion to my collection. I had left a note for Daniel Sullivan before the show; what a huge coup to get both of them.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Borders all the way. Rapid City has one and we don't? Lame.

mur said...

i love you bartling!! you are so good at what you do, i'm so glad peggy saw this and started conversing with you!!! :)

mur said...

tales of a female nomad - best book ever, i think you are the one who recommended it to me! i need to read it again and get outta idaho!