Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Never Underestimate the Power of People, Theate and Coldcuts

Friday I had an artist interview with Chris McElroen, co-founder and director of the Classical Theatre of Harlem. I am impressed. This is a theatre that puts it time, money and talent where its mouth is. Chris is a reserved, sincere, articulate man. He, and the the theatre, epitomize social conscience artist activism. He was the perfect person to interview before heading home as he just sees the potential of positive change that theatre possess. I will be returning to SD reminded that theatre is a powerful medium in which to open the scabs of society's wounds. It may not be pretty and it may hurt, but underneath is the lifeblood that makes us all part of the human race. To read more about The Classical Theatre of Harlem please go to http://www.classicaltheatreofharlem.org/. Specifically, check out there production of Waiting for Godot that they staged in New Orleans this past year. They played to over 6,000 people (unfortunately they had to turn people away) and made over $60,000 - all of which they left in New Orleans. Beautiful.

After the interview, I went over to see Theresa Flannery at the photo studio. I hadn't seen her since our amazing Thanksgiving feast, so I wanted to wish her Merry Christmas. She is another one of those special individuals that is just comfortable to be around. She feels like home.

I told her about my "Valarie Tale" and that I was on my way to go check on her. The studio had a food shoot the day before, so she insisted that I take it all with me as I headed over to the library. Cold cuts, cheese, bread, baby carrots, granola bars, bottled water, and a very festive cookie display were are but into Macy's bags. I stopped continuously on my journey from 35th and 7th to 43 and 7th to give out food. That's the things about many of the homeless in nyc. The ones that I encountered really are just hungry and appreciated the food.

No comments: