Sunday, December 2, 2007

The Schetnan Girls Hit Broadway




Friday, mom and I got up early and grabbed a cab to get into The View. Unfortunately, they do not tape on Fridays. No worries, it is nyc and there is plenty to do. We went back to Rockefeller Center to catch the taping of NBC's Today Show. We saw Al Roker (pic) and the entire cast of the show throughout the morning. Finally, we were on the air during a make over segment. Tracy London (pic) from What Not to Wear was the guest host. I love that show! She was so sweet to everyone. It was very cold, so we were glad to head home to grab an Italian dinner and a nap before we needed to be back in midtown at 4 pm.


The Rockette's Christmas Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall was....spectacular. I was like a 6 years old. It included everything: 3D viewing, amazing spectacle and kicking, kicking, kicking. We had a ball. We enjoyed everything starting with the Art Deco architecture (including the bathroom) and ending with the final kick line. I cannot believe that I have never been to the Rockettes before; this would be a wonderful Christmas tradition. I even bought a t-shirt...me! The last time I did this because I was so taken with the show, was in the spring of 2004 when I saw the original company of Wicked in previews. I still wear my "Wicked" tee with pride.


We met up with Jennie at Angus for a quick bite before going to August: Osage County. I may become obsessed with this show. "I got the plains," is going to work itself into my lexicon. Jen loved the show too. Together we laughed and sobbed as we recognized the family dynamics. Mom had a bit more trouble with the show as the dialogue moved so quickly and was strewn with f-bombs. When we got home that night, we had a hearty discussion about the use of the word realistically in families. Mom thought that its overuse in the script was not true most Midwest families.....ummm. I am so glad that she believes that and has brought us up to respect the power of all words and the communication dynamics in one's family. It has served me well as a daughter, mother, teacher and director.
After the show, we went back to Angus for desert. Jen noticed a poster of David Morse and mentioned that was the guy she saw on the street a couple of weeks ago when she was here. As were affirming each affinity for Mr. Morse, I notice that he was, in fact, having a conversation outside the stagedoor of The Seafarer. He is...yummy...and I have the picture with Jen, mom an I to prove it (pic).

No comments: