Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I Savored Every Bite I Took of the Big Apple

Sunday I hit Grand Central Station for one last time. I have said it before, but it bears repeating. GC is the place I go for a big breath of serenity. Yes, it is swollen with people running to their next destination, but there is something surreal about the structure. Also, during the last couple weeks of the Christmas season they have a special light show in the main terminal. People just plop down on the floor to enjoy...I joined them.

Next, I needed to go the festival shops in Union Square. I walked down Broadway and soaked up the city. My final stop was the Porto Rico Importing Company on Bleeker. This is a must destination for any coffee lover. I will include their website if anyone is interested http://www.portorico.com/ in purchasing the delicious coffee online.

I went to visit Valarie at St. Vincent's. She was still mad when I got there, but by the time I left, she agreed that I did what I did because I had her best interest at heart. I talked for a long time to the sweetest nurse named Katie. She assured me that she would check on her possessions that were stored in security. The book that Valarie wrote was not in her room. I believe it is her only copy, so I want to make sure that it doesn't get lost.

I am impressed by the care at St. Vincent's. They knew who I was immediately when I got there. Evidently Valarie had been asking for me and cursing my existence all at the same time. They promised me that they would not release her until after Christmas. My business card was attached to her chart, so that we could all work together for what was best for her. I am a bit concerned as she was not quite as lucid as she had been. I bought an Angel Christmas ornament with both our names on it. I hung it from her IV pole to watch over her. Before she drifted off to sleep, I kissed her on the forehead and I said goodbye. Hopefully we will see each other again soon in South Dakota.

My friend Benji came down to the Village to wish me goodbye. It was a lovely and relaxing way to end my time in New York. Good conversation and a great meal in my neighborhood. We ate at Daddy O's so that I could hug Kevin and Lucce goodbye. I also dropped off a Christmas card to Hercules.

I packed until 3 am and slept until my car arrived at 4. Leaving my roommates Diego and Joe was difficult. I am so glad that I slipped away in the middle of the night...it seemed appropriate. I would have had trouble saying goodbye if I had to look at the city straight in the face. Leaving in the dark was beautiful and appropriate as I had embodied the light of so many in my imagination, heart and soul.

No comments: