Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Another Theory of Dakotativity Connection

Tonight I went down to the East Village to see a new adaptation of Schnitzler's La Ronde entitled The Round of Pleasure. I am familiar with the script, so I was not surprised by the sexual context of the play. In fact, the performance was quite inspired. I loved the staging and the specific physical life of each character was fascinating. It was highly engaging...no pun intended.

My dear friend, Roger Fredrickson, long time minister at First Baptist, called and told me about the show as it starred his granddaughter Sara Lemp. I was thrilled to go see this young woman perform as her grandfather has been such a wonderful mentor and inspiration to me. She was bound to have that same spark and passion as the rest of the family. She did. She was captivating - just like her grandfather.

Afterwards, I introduced myself, and she was a bit shocked (and truth be told nervous as the show is very sexually overt). I assured her that I not only was familiar with the piece but enjoyed her performance immensely. The director joined us and we all talked for about an hours. It was a great way to end my day...SHARING in conversation about theatre...not serving as a voyeur to it.

No comments: