Sunday, December 2, 2007

Like the cast and message of Wicked, my life is full of strong women who claim their place in the story.

Things moved a bit quicker this morning. It is a beautiful morning in nyc. It is snowing...love it. I feel like I am in a snowglobe. Also, it is my mom's birthday, so it has to be a great day.

By 10, we were on our way to Starbucks. My sister dropped her latte and made quite a sceptical...I have pictures. Speaking of pictures, I have not talked about my "Hands Across America" photo montage that I am working on, but my mom and sister have been very helpful. Basically, I am shooting random gives that have been lost and abandoned throughout the city. I think it is going to be an interesting collection.

We did the Ground Zero, Wall Street, Battery Park and Statue (of the) Liberty tour. My mom tends to include the (of the) and I like it...and am going to continue to use it. We laughed a lot, took some great photos and froze our asses off.

After an amazing Indian/Birthday brunch, we went back to the apartment to pack up Jen's stuff. I am so glad she was here. I do not remember the last time mom had Jen and I to her to herself. I will see her again next weekend, but it may be a year before mom does.

Mom and I went up to register for the Wicked lottery. We were too late, but after a discussion that included key words/phrases like "once in a lifetime." "hot ticket," and "birthday" we decided to suck it up and take advantage of the bad weather's good fortune. When we went to the box office, they had 12th row center seats available. This is the most money that I have ever spent on a theatre ticket. However, Wicked tickets are never available, this same ticket goes for $300 on eBay, and it is my mom's birthday....we bought them. I cried - again. I was awed - again. I fell in love with it - again. More importantly, mom loved it too.

After the show, we strolled back to where we began - Rockefeller Center, to see the tree at night. Next we went shopping. After grabbing a slice, we retired on my futon, reminiscing the trip and packing for her departure.

Having mom here was long in the coming. As this is the city I feel most comfortable in, it enclosed the circle by introducing nyc to the woman who has taught me what the definition of home really is. What a gift during this Advent Season. I am sad to see her go home.

1 comment:

mur said...

it's my little brother's birthday too! sounds like your mom had a great birthday!