Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Lesson After Lesson After Lesson

Rehearsal went well. The best part of the day was getting to talk a lot with Kaipo Schwab who plays the roles of Crazy Horse/Rascal Lev. He is so interesting. He owns his own theatre company and told me tonight that this is the first time that he has been on stage in two years. Who knew...he is so easy to watch on stage. I will continue to follow his career as that he is so welcoming as an actor that I can only imagine that his film and theatre projects will find success because good things come to good people in this business.

I got some little things done during the day....I had numerous phone calls with everyone from Social Services to Social Security in Watertown. I am working diligently on getting Valarie home to SD. Of course, my fear is that I would send her home only to be homeless in Sioux Falls. I hope to have time tomorrow to check on her and see what her Social Security situation is. Again, if anyone reading has an ideas...please call me!!
Tonight I attended The Piano Teacher by Julia Cho at the Vineyard Theatre. Tracy WS told me that it was great, and that I should check it out. When I got there, it was sold out, so I took a seat in the lobby as my name got put on the wait list. Next thing I know, Kathleen Chaflant walks in. She is beyond lovely. I got a kiss, hug and introduction to her friend. She was concerned that I didn't have a ticket. I finally got one (I hate paying full price), and when I walked into the theatre the house manager asked if I was Kim. I said, "yes." She said she was just on her way up to the lobby because Kathleen Chaflant wanted to make sure I got into the show.
The Piano Teacher was great! Elizabeth Franz gave a performance that all artists should watch as a "how to" on the way it is done. The other two young actors were not even in the same league. I hope they know that they are on the stage with greatness each evening. To read an overview of the play go to www.playbill.com/news/article/112871.html
When I sat down for the show, the young lady next to me was so thrilled to have gotten this last minute ticket. When she reminded me that we were lucky to get in I think I grumbled something about the ticket price. She said, "You can't worry about money, if you are going to live in New York." So young - no wise. At the end of the performance she was the first person on her feet. I really loved her enthusiasm.
Rebecca, this young woman, and I found a couple different "theory of dakotativity" links. Her family is familiar with the SF area also she went to Wheaton College where Mark Lewis was her advisor. Mark and I studied together at the Actor's Center in 2001. The conversation lead to her family. I discovered that her brother graduated from h.s. last spring but chose not to go to college right away. I immediately thought of the Spirit of USF scholarships. Rebecca and I walked home together as she lives in the West Village too. We had such a nice talk. She is going to pass my info to her family. She is an eager actor (she auditioned yesterday for a Women's Project production); I hope she become as successful as she is lovely.

No comments: