Tuesday, December 4, 2007

A Day as American as Pie and Disney


Today was cleaning day at 55 Morton. Between the cat hair and the shopping bags (left over from Jen and mom's visit....the God Lord knows, I am not a shopper. The God Lord also knows when I lie...darn it) the place was a mess.


I had to be at the Julia Miles Theater (the home of the Women's Project) by 2. Today was our first day in the performance space. Because this Hotbox Series is about letting the audience into the work, Rebecca (the director) and the WP want to make it clear that Wapato is in process even during this first weekend's opening. Therefore, I will be placed and lit in the front row on the house right. I will be on book (this is a time honored tradition in the opera that we are transferring to this project).


Today, I had to mark every word/line that the actors missed or misconstrued. If they jumped, I had to say, "We jumped"...and then give the line to restart the seqeunce. I also provided lines when they asked for it. I just spent the past 3 hours in the apartment, writing out every verbal miss so to distribute it tomorow. As a whole, I am impressed with their grasp of the memorization only after two weeks.


It was so exciting to be in the theater today. The set was ready for us (there are lots to fix, but functionable). All running crew cues were ran/reran. Most of the designers were in place (all women - scenic, sound and lighting). The costumer and prop master were not in attendence - there are a lot of prop demands yet to be met. Peggy (the playwright) is always there and told me numerous times how much she appreciates my attention to detail in making the actors accountable to the exact lines.


I enjoy serving these women, so I ran for tea and coffee when the focus went to designers...they love that. I am endeared when they make each other giggle onstage. My favorite moment today was when Kate and Dayle broke into a Rockettes chorus line while onstage and waiting for notes. Also, I love, love, love it when Nancy looks to me for affirmation. Just a nod and a smile gives her so much confidence.


We got done @ 7:15, so I ran down to 46th to try to get a ticket for Cyrano (because we will be in rehearsal and production for the next 3 weeks, my theatre attendence will certainly suffer). Unfortunately, the show began at 7, as many do on Tuesdays. The only show close by whose curtain was 8 pm was The Little Mermaid...okay. I went to the box office - sold out. I moved to the cancellation line. As I was standing there, a woman came up to the line and said, "I have an extra ticket." I told the girl in line in front of me, that this woman had a ticket, if she wanted it. (she was first; so, it was only fair). She did want it. However, the woman was not selling it; she gave it to her. The woman in the line was dazed. What an amazing gesture.


I was then waved to the window and told that the only tickets that they will resell will be the $110 ones....no can do. I lingered outside for a bit, hoping someone may come running up at the last moment with a cheaper ticket to sell. Another young man was doing the same. At about 8:03, I noticed a women holding a file with a company's name on it in the foyer (as if she had tickets for a group and was still waiting to distribute them). I went in and inquired if she had any extra to sell. She asked me how many I needed. I said, "Only one, but there is another guy outside who would like to go too." She sconfessed that she had to wait as she had costomers still coming. "Okay. Thank you anyway," I said as I walked outside. The next thing I know, she calls after me and instructs me to, "Get the other man too." When we asked her how much, she said, "Merry Christmas." It was a $110 ticket!!! The young man (who just gratuted with a criminal justice major in Isreal) and I were both so excited, and we got to sit and enjoy it together.


The Little Mermaid stars Sheri Rene Scott as Ursulla. Who knew? I love her! The show, as a whole, was typically Disney....full of spectical, over the top characters and big, big, big voices. Unfortunately, the dialogue was more corny that the animated movie. Also, the whole thing was done on Heelys, which looked sophomoric. It is still in previews, so I am hoping they will figure out a more sophisticated way of movement.


On the way home, I stopped at the grocery store to pick up basil and apple cider (it is so cold, and I thought a basil/mozzerella sandwhich with cider would warm me up). Behind me in line was Sean William Scott. I told him, that I have been in the city on sabbatical and my children have been patient with my absence and, frankly, my work here doesn't really interest them. However, if I could come home telling them that I had met Stifler, my cred as a mom would certainly increase.


Sean could not have been nicer. He asked where I was from and was excited because he is from Minneapolis. I told him that Tyler went to St. John's for a couple of years, and he confessed that he was going to go there to play baseball but decided to just go to LA right away out of h.s. As a college prof., stories like this always make me cringe. However, he was so charming that it was clear that it was his personality combined with his talent is what keeps him working.


The checkout clerk who took our picture was hilarious. She and another clerk were gossiping about how excited they were about "the pregnancy" as one of they was flipping through a rag. Sean asked, "Who's pregnant?" "J-Lo," they exclaimed "and she looks so beautiful." Sean said, "Let me see. Wow, you're right." Just in case you are not following this, Sean William Scott was discussing the latest US Weekly with the clerk. He then asked their names - and complimented them on how beautiful the names were. He refused to believe that I had a 24 year old son, and went on to ask lots of questions about my boys. This whole lovefest was surreal. We all left great friends!


Outside we continued the conversations about mothers. His is coming to nyc for the first time tomorrow. I gave him some ideas as mine had just left. After about 10 minutes (in the freezing cold...but we are from Minn./SD so we can handle it), we hugged and went our own ways. This was offshoot of Theory of Dakotativity...called Universal Law of Midwesterness. Minnesota + South Dakota = connection and conversation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ALL I can say is Karma!!!

Sounds like you are having a awesome time! Love reading your blog!!
I thought of your dad yesterday as I picked up all the dominos off my floor. The guy who taught me how to actually play a game of dominos! I hope he is doing better.
Sending you warm thoughts and pockets of peace!!

Rebecca Linn

mur said...

you are leading such an exciting life in the big city! i'm so jealous. what a great experience!

Unknown said...

Totally jealous of you getting to see Ursula in the Little Mermaid. She is the best Disney character by far. Was she amazing on stage?