Sunday, December 16, 2007

Inspired Artists Inspire Me

Today I caught the Sunday Matinee of Cyrano with Kevin Kline, Jennifer Garner and Daniel Sumjata. I bought a $20 standing room ticket and moved to an open seat at intermission, so I was treated to the sweeping grandeur of the spectacle, but than watch Kline's mastery on stage up close and personal.

The sets looked like reproduction of tapestries from the period. I wish I had the budget to create this type of visual feast .

I don't know if I my memory of the story of Cyrano de Bergerac has been obscured by Steve Martin's comic interpretation, but I was really surprised by the poignant sincerity and tragic selfless romanticism.

Kevin Kline was brilliant. Daniel Sumjata was pretty. Jennifer Garner was...frivolous. I blame the director for the unbalanced performances - in style. Jennifer played Roxanne as sugary sweet girl who floated around the stage oblivious to the dangers of war and love. She is adorable, but I wanted to see more depth from a character who falls in love through the sincerity of words not by just a pretty face.

At the end, the controlled emotion emoted by Kline was beautiful. I was moved by his performance and storytelling.

Following the curtain call, the actors invited the audience to participate in an auction to support Equity Fights AIDS. The item they auctioned off?...Cyrano's nose from this performance. Once it got to $900, Jennifer threw in her false eyelashes. The gentleman sitting right next to me won with a winning bid of $1,200.

Tonight I went to "An Evening with Ani DiFranco" at the 92nd Street Y. Ani DiFranco is my favorite musical artist. Well, that is not entirely true. She shares that title with Elvis Costello. Kim Bartling's two desert island cd picks...Dilate by Ani DiFranco and Imperial Bedroom by Elvis Costello.

Ani is such an amazing voice of social conscience and activism. She has just published a book of poetry, so between discussing her musical and personal journey, she read a few of her poems. Here are the interesting thoughts and soundbites from the evening:

She confessed that writing poetry was terrifying. "I don't see it all - I only hear it."

Ani first learned about poetry from an artist-in-resident when in elementary school. She said from her she learned about free sketching. One doesn't have to draw a portrait by drawing the nose, eyes, ears exactly right the first time. Instead it is best to start with a free sketch. The process of writing poetry is like that..don't start too specific.

When Little Plastic Castles came out, she decided to quit reading anything that was printed about herself and has stuck to this. She said, "I care about the opinions of those close to me and all the hundreds that I have about myself."

What is the difference between writing a song and a poem? "A song has more constrictions. They have an inherent form. Poetry is more liberating."

Poetry is all around us. A poet is the one who sees it."

She cites the following as influences: Thelonius Monk, Utah Phillips, Macy O'Parker, and Sekou Sundiata.

"I came up in folk festivals and you are part of the community. The stage is an unfortunate circumstance to creating art."

Her definition of folk music is "music that is political expressive and non-commercial."

"We need to reimagine ourselves, not as consumers but as citizens."

"I really enjoy my work and I can say that without any romanticism or exaggeration. It is a privilege to negotiate my work and still feed myself."

"I never had put the pressure or lived by the philosophy that said..'If I just achieve that' or "just get there' I will be happy."

When asked how things have changed since having her baby, she said that now she as to work during nap times. "I used to spend full days of swimming around with one world. It has slowed me down, and I say that with no negativity. I just do and say less and just try to be more. It is crazy as I have never had a boss before."

She said that her has a whole new respect for the woman that their ability to give birth. "As a mother, first you give your body and then you give your life."

"We need to figure out how - as women - we can help each other recognize each other's bodies from the moment it gets turned on to the moment it is turned off."

"I have no regrets. Things may shift, but it was true at that time."

When asked what is her greatest vice...
"Sometimes I throw stuff that is recyclable. Most of my vices on conveniences."

I bought a signed copy of her new book of poetry...and now I am off to bed to read.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ani is amazing. What was your favorite song performance of the evening?

mur said...

fantastic! how's the poetry?!