Tuesday, December 18, 2007

3rd Row for Baryshnikov - Front Row for Valarie

Today I had to send all my Christmas packages home. Yikes! I am definitely going to have to get an additional job when I get home. Life is expensive metaphorically and literally. Is Spezia's hiring?

We had rehearsal today from 11 until 4:30. The director continued to disappoint, but the actors continued to amaze me. A few of today's thoughts that will become exclamation points in Directing this spring...

  • It is important for a director to not watch every rehearsal from the same seat. Moving around the house is crucial to a thorough point of view and responsible attach of sight line.
  • All artists have a different process. How much should the director shift to accommodate the actors or should the actors adapt to the director's process?
  • The importance of working against props (especially when it tastes as good as Almond Rocca) should never be underestimated.
  • If the space is there...use it.

I went to a production of Beckett Shorts at the New York Theatre Workshop. It featured Mikhail Baryshnikov. Yes, you read it right, Mikhail Baryshnikov! There were four different plays, and he in each of them. He is delicious. He combined obvious liquid movement with elements of mime and clowning all wrapped up in a subtle physiological and psychological gesture. Brilliant.

The design and technical conceit was breathtaking. The combination of a master lighting plan and the music of Phillip Glass has genius. (Just as a reminder to myself, my notes for this production were written on the back of the Playbill). A video feed captured the performance in the moment. It was manipulated so that it appeared to echo itself in the first piece. In the final piece "Misha," as the director called in the the post-show talkback, had a camera on tight on his face during the entire play. He doesn't have one word but his facial were stronger than if he had verbally responded to the woman. The pre and post show lighting plot was so effective yet simple. It is amazing the power that mini-blinds and florescent lighting can have.

The talkback was recorded for broadcast. You can listen to it by going to www.nytw.org. There are two links, one from December 11th (where they talk to the technical team) and another from the 18th (with a French prof from NYU and the director). Did I ask a question? Of course. I am the second question on the 18th broadcast.

I ran down to Little Italy to pick a few Christmas gifts before I had to go back up to Midtown. I met Tracy Wilson Scott after she attended August: Osage County. We wanted to discuss the play, specifically the Native American character. She agreed that stereotype is the only glaring problem with the text. We grabbed some sushi and talked it through. I so like her. We have decided that she should come to USF this spring, so everyone had this to look forward to. She is a tour de force.

Before going home, I walked over to the public library to check on Valarie. She was camped out and sleeping for the evening. She looked safe and cozy (she was getting good use of her new blanket). I made a lot of phone calls today. The courthouse in Watertown confirmed that she was born there on the date she gave me. I spent a lot of time talking to Social Services in Pierre, but they couldn't help. Tomorrow, I will begin talking to Social Service Organizations in Watertown. I just don't want to put her on a bus and send her to Watertown with no answers once she gets there. I am open to any ideas for those reading.... She has nothing. I made calls to a few people with last names that she mentioned. No bites. Since she has been gone for so long and is 77, I am thinking there may be no one left. Send prayers please to help me best serve.

1 comment:

Miss Emily Sue Knutson said...

Actually Kim, Spezia is hiring. I saw a sign on their building when I was on my way to work this morning :)