Thursday, December 6, 2007

Playing in the Dark

For the past two days, I have been living at The Julia Miles Theatre. Wapato opens for its first run tomorrow. I am learning a lot; as I told Jim today, I am discovering that I am an actor's director. I know many of my student's may roll their eyes at the next statement, but compared to the directors that I have observed, I give a lot of freedom to all of the artists in the room. Also, I allow a lot more dialogue and playfulness. I love learning all the ins and outs of an equity production, and the actors are eager to share their thoughts with me about this specific project as soon as we get to the second opening.

Right now, they are really frustrated by the lack of character and text work. As one of them said today, "we have nothing to hand our hats on out there. It is difficult to act when you have no idea who the character is or why they are there." I am have always said, "There is nothing more cruel then sending unprepared actors on the stage." These women are professionals - their Broadway credits alone are staggering. Yet, they are hungry for a director to feed them something to chew on. Right now all they are told to do is get off book and onstage....and since they are pros that is exactly what they are doing." They still make it look easy...I just wish they did not feel so uneasy.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm jealous and excited for the students in your next classes...you are going to bring even more to the classroom through the experiences you've had here...awesome.

mur said...

looks like the women's project is really helping you out!!! that's exciting! i love your new picture too!