Saturday, December 8, 2007

HALT

The first thing on the agenda for Friday was to go to Barnes and Noble on 5th Ave. to go to a book signing. Caroline Kennedy was signing her Christmas book. When I got there, the line was up and down the aisles inside the store and continued out the door and around the block. Yeah… It was obvious that I was not going to be able to do this and get to rehearsal on time. I found the store manager and asked if she could – in any way – move me to the front of the line (I had to try). She was so nice. She couldn’t do that, but she took my card and said that she would try to get me a signed copy. She called me later in the day to say that she had been successful and would keep it in her office at B & N, and I could pick it up Monday.

We had rehearsal from 1-5. I do not believe how insensitive this director is. Even though Equity requires specific breaks, there is no denying the strain of late afternoons on the body. Also, theatre is such a physically and mentally draining art; one needs fuel to keep the fire. At one point, one of the actors got really frustrated (@ hour 3) and started to tear up. The director did not pause, let alone ask if she was alright or – as I would have done – stopped for the afternoon, told them to get some air and food – and return for the show call in 2 hours. She just said, “Let’s keep going.” What good does this do anyone? Not only were they frustrated and the rehearsal unproductive, it certainly takes any air of playfulness out of the process and throws a wet blanket on the fact that it is opening night.

I always remember what Dr. Hoogestrat taught us in Intrapersonal Communications as SDSDU…one should never have conversation during a HALT moment. If you are any of the following: Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired, communication is doomed to be effective. That acronym has served me well many times as a teacher, director and mother. Also, I have used it to recognize my own limitations.

We opened the show and the ladies were fabulous. Like all actors, once they had an audience, the performance moved to a new level. Afterwards, because of the Hothouse concept they asked the audience what worked and what didn’t. Frankly, they so need to hire me. This could have been so much for productive if they would attach things with a different approach. Everything is too controlled and passive aggressive…just like the director. Maybe I am wrong, but playful, safe aggressiveness is what creates passion. Thank you…I will now step of my soap box.

I went back to the apartment and my sister Jennie was waiting for me. This is her third visit, and I love it. We went out to eat. Nyc is a vacuum for time. Once it hits midnight, 2:30 is immediately on its heels. I was beat…The bed and the cuddling felines felt good.

3 comments:

mur said...

sorry to hear about the director. take notes and apply what you already do, and remember what she does and you hate, and don't do it! :/ (it makes sense in my head!) hope you have a great weekend w/ your sister...again! :)
glad the show went well after such a bad rehearsal!

Anonymous said...

I do think that fearfulness and the accountability factor--tracing a fault back to who or what seems to be the origin--have led to more passive-aggressive behavior. It’s easier to hide accountability and fearfulness if one is passive-aggressive. So many certainly do not want to be held accountable, and some are like fearful dogs and tend to hide their anger until it's safe to bare teeth. I've noticed this behavior more and more the longer I teach, especially in college. In class, and in rehearsal, those polite ones are usually the ones who feign acceptance of ideas/instructions offered by directors and professors and reassert control at the most inopportune moments.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear the show went well. It will continue to get better from here. Keep your head up!