Monday, December 17, 2007

If You Are Going To Only One Story On My Blog...Make It This One


Had rehearsal today from 12:30-6:30. However, I left at 5 to meet with Jeffrey France an actor, director and playwright who agreed to meet with me as part of my artist conversations. He is really lovely and I like the way he continues to push his artistry by honing his instrumental skills, teaching Shakespeare intensives, dancing, acting, directing and now playwrighting.

I had a couple of hours to get some Christmas shopping done, after I - ever so carefully - picked pashimi and cashmere scarves for gifts back home, I headed over to B & N on 46th and 5th. There is a signed book there that I saw over a week ago that I wanted to hunt down. As I walked past the NY Public Library, I became distracted by the guardian lions that are recognizable to many (especially in my home as we are Ghostbuster freaks). The lions were decorated and I thought that I needed a pic.

As I was walking away, I saw this homeless woman (with all her bags) sitting on the upper level cement benches in front of the library. She was just watching the world go by. I walked up the steps, wished her Merry Christmas, and gave her a dollar. She responded as if I had just given her a dozen roses. Her cute little face just beamed and thanked me profusely. I moved on to B & N.

My book was - unbelievably - still there. It was the last one and a sales clerk had to help me dig for it. She even said, "Wow, you're lucky. There are so few of these around." The whole time I could not help thinking of this woman back at the library.

I purchased the book and headed back to the library. I decided that I would give her one of the scarves that I had bought; everyone deserves to have something pretty at Christmas. I walked up to and said, "Hello, again." She was happy to see me.

After giving her attire a good look, it was clear that a shiny pashimi scarf would be silly. She was pretty well bundled with wool scarf, mitten and hat. Also, her coat was appeared warm. So, I said to her, "What is your name?"

She giggled and looked at me as if she did not quite understand what language I was speaking.
"Valarie," she said.

"Hi Valarie, I am Kim. I was wondering if there is anything special that I can get you? Are you hungry?"

"No, thank you. People are quite nice about that, but it was nice of you to ask. Why are you interested in helping me?"

"I don't know, I was just drawn to the way you are sitting up here. You are not sitting out on the street with your hand out. Yet, it is obvious that you plan on sleeping outside tonight," I said.

"I have to wait to move closer to the library until they come and put the barricades up. There is a meeting in the library of some sort, but when it is done, security will put up the gates and then we can move up the building on the steps. They are really nice about it."

I asked her why she did not go to one of the shelters. She said that you have to sit in a chair all night and you don't want to sleep when there because all your stuff may be gone when you wake up. She felt safer on the street. The entire time we spoke, mice were running over our feet and playing in her bags.

I asked her where she came from and how long she had been living on the streets. She came from Washington, DC, but she was waiting for social security to help her because she did not have a picture ID, so she could not register for any money.

My next question was this..."Valarie, if you could be anywhere - go anywhere where would it be? I guess that I am asking, where would you go if you got the money you needed."

She said, "I am need to get money together so I can go to South Dakota first before I move on to the West Coast."

If one does not believe in God, please reread that last piece of dialogue.

I told her that I too was from SD, she giggled again. As it was about 8 o'clock, and I wanted to get her what she needed. I asked her again what would make you more comfortable for the evening. She said - really - she was fine. I asked her if she had a warm blanket. She said yes, but one can never have enough blankets. "How about clothing?" She said she would love a new pair of pants with pockets (so that she could keep valuables close). I told her I would be back.

I ran over to Conways before going back down to the Village to my apartment, where I had purchased the coziest of cozy blankets earlier this fall. At Conways I bought here a pair of pocketed thick, brown pants and a pair of cozy sweatpants. I returned by 9:30.

I gave her the new items and she said, "You are from South Dakota 'cuz us South Dakota people don't fool around; we just get it done." She acted like a 5 year old on Christmas morning with the new items. She could not have been more appreciative.

I then got the rest of her story. Valarie's real name is Verna Arlene Bremer and she was born in Watertown, SD on March 21, 1930. According to her, she has written a children's book (her pen name is Valarie) and just got a copyright for the hard copy version when in Washington. After I told her what I do for a living, she told me that her book would make a wonderful movie. Also, the one person who she would like to find in nyc is Morgan Freedman, as they used to work together when she first lived in the city in the late 60's and early 70's. She say that she was once a flight attendant for United (I think this may actually be true) and that is where she met her scoundrel of a husband. She also claims to have worked in law enforcement and specifically for the CIA and the FBI. She worked in publishing in Long Island too.

I asked her what happened that she landed up on the streets. She said that she has chosen this us a protest to the over capitalization of our country. My favorite comment was, "My first 50 years, I was the perfect little woman. I did everything right and everything anybody asked of me. But things happened. I have decided for my last 50, I am going to be an activist."

I said, "But wouldn't you rather be in your own home?"

She confessed that she would, but that until she got her picture ID she would continue to fight the big fight. She was full of stories ranging from knowing the whistle blower in Watergate to bragging about the fact that she has never smoked, drank on occasion, but probably should not live in a place like Reno again as she likes to gamble. Frankly, she is quite happy and seemingly lucid.

Did it cross my mind to bring her back to my apartment? Truthfully, I had to talk myself out of it both times that I walked away from her. I called my sister-in-law, and we are checking on a few of the family names and bus tickets. In the meantime, I told her that I will check on her in a couple of days. We hugged goodbye, and she told me, "Kim, you are something." Is that a SD phrase or what? Also, I only told her my name one time...extraordinary. Please pray for Verna Bremer from Watertown and the New York Public Library.

6 comments:

mur said...

:)

Unknown said...

What a story! I can't wait to hear how things turn out.

Miss Emily Sue Knutson said...

That's my favorite story of yours.

Karen said...

This is what Christmas is all about! What a wonderful reminder and encouragement to all of us to reach out throughout the year.

Jenn said...

I have goosebumps.

Brenda Paulsen said...

Kim, you give me courage to step outside my box!
Merry Christmas!