Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Small Circles of Friends is A Large Box of an Island

Before getting to the theatre for our last performance (a 3 pm matinee) of Wapato, I ran down to Little Italy and Chinatown to pick up last minute Christmas gifts. I knew that going to see Valarie would not be a good idea, so I decided to take advantage of the day as the hospital took care of her.

The actors were waiting with a beautiful Christmas - thank you gift for me. It was a sparkly winter white scarf. I have treasured every minute with these women. Throughout the process, Kate and Lucy have been especially attentive to me as a woman away from her home and family. However, on this evening it was the words of Dale and Nancy that were particularly touching. Dale Soules is a tough duck; warm and fuzzy would not be two words that most would use to describe her. She said to me, "Kim, you are doing the right thing with this homeless woman. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. You see the world in the way everyone should. Thank you for trying." Then Nancy kissed me on the cheek (I had to bend way down to her 5 foot frame) and whispered, "Thank you for being the mother to all us old ladies. You are the dearest of the dear." I also need to add that I will forever be changed by the power of a wink. Lucy winked at me every night at curtain call. She has no idea how special that made me feel.

After the show, I met with Michele Pawk between her matinee and evening performance. She needed to do some Christmas shopping so I schlepped along to B & N and Bed, Bath and Beyond. We crack each other up.

We decided to grab a bite to eat at Whole Foods in the basement of the Time Warner building; I had no idea it was down there! I love their self-serve deli. Just before I sat down with her with our plastic take out containers and utensils, my phone rang. It was Doug Hughes, director of such Broadway hits as Inherit the Wind, A Naked Girl on the Appian Way, Martius and Doubt. I have been playing internet tag with him for over a month. He apologized that we would not be able to get together before I left, but wanted me to have his private phone number so that we could continue to talk on the phone and set up a time for a one on one interview in March. As I searched for a pen, Michele and he caught up...they are old friends.

While we were eating, I couldn't help notice that people were stopping and staring at Michele. We laughed hysterically as we came to the conclusion that people were trying to decide if she was a woman with an overzealous hand with make-up or a drag queen (she didn't want to take off and reapply her Hairspray make-up).

We said our final goodbyes and happy holidays. One of the greatest gifts I have had in 2007 is getting to really know Michele (and her family) better. Her friendship is priceless.

Next stop was 56th Street between 7th and Broadway. Theresa Flannery's boyfriend Ed was having a Christmas party as the housing complex he manages. This is not just any complex...it is the nyc home to names such as Sean Puffy Combs. Again, being around Theresa and her brother Mike is just easy. I enjoyed having a glass of wine on the 47 floor overlooking Central Park and Time Square with these South Dakotan and their nyc families. Her children are gorgeous, her boyfriend gracious, and Michael's girlfriend is so sweet. They made me homesick for my own family.

My final stop was the Barrow Inn to say goodbye to Natalie. I bought her a dreamweaver for Christmas. She has been a solid ear and real inspiration as she literally travels through her life via continents, eclectic employment and hundreds of friends.

I arrived home around midnight. Sunday is my last day in the city, and I want to savor every minute of it, so I headed to bed.


No comments: