Sunday, December 2, 2007

Just Enough






We slept in....and in...and in. I wonder when was the last time that mom was still lounging around in bed at noon? It was great fun.

Once we stepped outside, Jennie wanted French food. No problem...La Gamin is around the corner. I love listening to my sister speak French. I can still remember coming home from college with my French textbooks and Jen would steal them for the weekend (she was in 6th grade).

Who knew that she would eventually attend high school and college there? I think it is extraordinary that Sylvin and Janet Schetnan, both with high school educations who both lived their entire lives in rural SD, raised 3 people who have wheels and wings on their asses. My siblings and I have always wanted to see more, live more, do more and know more. Money (like politics) was never discussed.

Grandma Sievers used to say after every meal, "Just enough." Even if we were 3 hotdogs, a loaf of bread and a cartoon of milk short, it was "Just enough." That epitomized my youth. We were not wealthy, but we always had "just enough" to support Jen's education in Europe, my education at SDSU and Thad's education in ND. My parents never had extra money, but they never wanted to live a life where there was extra time....they devoured every opportunity. What a gift to all of us.

For the 3rd time in 8 weeks, I has on my way up the Empire State Building. However, it was evening, so I am not complaining as I love the view at night. It was cold and windy at the top so once we oohed and awed, we flew the the coop. Afterwards, we did a little shopping and checked out the Macy's Christmas windows.

I had made a date with former student, Asher Winston. He scored free tickets to Colin McPherson's The Seafarer....old conceit (Faust strikes again) - bold and inspired acting - hit and miss directing - mediocre design - lyrical writing....those were my 1 am thoughts. I was expecting a McPherson ghost story; instead, I got a holiday tale of redemption. I am in the "tis the season" as much as the next person, but I longed for an eerie Irish tale. Oh, I had a fun little moment before the show. As Asher was grabbing our tickets, I stood behind him in the very small foyer. I heard the head usher reprimanding this person, and as I turned, I saw she was telling this man, "Move to the other side of the foyer. You cannot block this entrance. Please find a ticket." I looked at the man who looked at me and smiled. I said, "See, we don't care if you are Jeremy Irons, get your ass over here with the rest of us." He laughed and said, "I appreciate that." Asher handed me my ticket and as I walked away, Mr. Irons said, "Enjoy the show." "You too....if you get in," I teased.

When I got home, the girts were sleeping. That did not work for me, so I woke my sister up and we had a fashion show with our new purchases. Another full day of family and theatre. Does it get any better than that?

No comments: