Monday, December 10, 2007

Private Screening at the Public Theatre

Today I went to a reading of Tracey Scott Wilson's play The Good Negro at the Public. What an experience! According to the Sundance-Time Warner announcement,

The Good Negro, directed by Liesl Tommy, is a new play "that puts a very human face on the 1960s American civil rights movement through personal and intimate stories that emerged from the political upheavals of the era. In a constantly shifting landscape, a trio of emerging black leaders must conquer their individual demons, the local KKK fights for its old way of life and everyday, black men and women must overcome their fears, all under the all watchful eye of the FBI."

The play examined a civil rights story from such a new place. Powerful, powerful storytelling. Furthermore, the actors were captivating. I can't wait to see it imagined with all the spectacle as it was rich just watching/listening to the with chairs and music stands.

I sat right next to Molly Smith the artistic director at the Arena Stage in Washington DC. She and I had a really great conversation. I would feel totally comfortable contacting her in the future. The Good Negro will open at the Arena Stage before moving to The Public. Also in the audience was Oskar Eustis, the artist director of The Public. Other than the 3 of us, almost the rest of the audience was African American. I love that experience of being the minority in the room.

Afterwards, the playwright Tracey Smith Wilson and I went out for dinner. She has agreed to be part of my artist conversations collections. We had an delicious sushi dinner and a 7 course conversation. I am not going to include all the sound bites of the conversations (you will have to wait for the book), but we are going to be great friends. Her thoughts on the Bogart words were insightful and fresh. Three hours later, we finished dinner and made arrangements to go to a show together next week. Also, Tracey had introduced me to Leisl Tommy the woman directing The Good Negro who is going to meet with me this week too...score!

Oh, I almost forgot, as we were leaving The Public some of the actors were gathered outside and with them was Tonya Pinkins. I love her; she starred in Kushner's Caroline or Change and is currently in Enchanted. She immediately introduced herself to me as I was the obvious odd girl out...I have never felt more like a cracker! :)

1 comment:

mur said...

cracker! haa haa :) funny, but i'm glad you're getting some people to speak w/ you....and become your friends! exciting! sounds like a great play too! i love everything you do! when are you going home?