Thursday, October 18, 2007

Today I did the unthinkable....I patronized Toys R Us on 43rd and Broadway. The doll I borrowed from Sylvia was not to Gia (with a hard g) liking so I had to take one for the team. Do you know that they take your picture when you enter...like you are entering Disneyland? I immediately asked "Where are the dolls?" Answer: "Second floor - right in from of the Barbie Castle. I wanted to die. I grabbed the first doll I found under $20 and made my way to the Women's Project.

I had to paint the Blackberry white, finalize the other props, arrange and clean the rehearsal space and check details with the people at Pace. Once I got there, I also helped out with more marketing before heading home to get ready for the theatre. The entire communication network on this project is less than impressive...frankly, it sucks.

I am so glad that I am having this opportunity. To say the least, we work differently. However, it will all be so helpful when I teach directing in the spring.

I got caught in traffic in a taxi. Eventually, I paid and got out and ran the last six blocks in my heels. I just made the 7:30 curtain. The Overwhelming was BEAUTIFULLY directed; I am so drawn to that type of seemless movement with an ensemble. The director was all over that stage. The lead - Sam Roberts - was out of his league with the rest of the cast. Acting 101 things, like owning cutoff lines, were thrown; I could see the black of the text as he spoke.

The script is amazing. I can't wait to read it. It will be a wonderful script to use in directing as we break scripts for research and dramaturgy.

After the show, John von Sooten and I went to Angus to talk about the show. We had a table right next to Tony Roberts - wow. John is going to be such a great resource for me and the university. His work in media and with all the major theatre artists of our time could be the best job ever...right after mine.


Aft

No comments: