Friday, October 5, 2007

A Few Items That Make Me Go Hmmmm?

  • Today it was hot, hot, hot (and humid) in nyc. I had a lot of errands to run, so I hoofed it up, down and around the East and West Village. I couldn't help but notice that no one was sweating...except me. Also, I was the only one in shorts and a t-shirt. Everyone else was either in jeans and a tee or work attire. The color palate of most new yorkers' clothes varies between jet black and gray, which would to add one's perspiration. Yet, I seemed to be the only one with a small - yet steady - trickle finding its way down my forehead, back...you get the picture. When I returned back to the apartment, I asked our doorman Sandy why I was the only human in the city sweating. He said, "We are all sweating, but we are new yorkers. We are too busy and too vain to admit it.

  • This morning when I was doing my morning blog, I began to notice all the same people from days 1-5. The hotdog vender pulling his cart to its daily site via Ford pickup, the lady across the street with the horrible dyed red-hair and her bulldog, model after model who live in the next building (there may only be one, but there may be 50 because they really do all look alike) and some guy who yelled up at me, "Hey, you...good morning. I see you up there writing everyday. Good job." It's nice to know they notice me too, and I am not just living a real life Groundhog Day.

  • I learned two other New Yorkian things today:
  1. All service vehicles need to have 2 people in them. One goes in to do the work (plumb, deliveries, lay carpet, etc) and the other must stay with the vehicle because they all double park. The driver sleeps until the honking becomes too much or - like today - I saw someone actually physically shake a man who was sleeping in order to get him to move. It wasn't confrontational; it was all part of the job.
  2. The reason that I could not get a cab for Teake Wednesday at 4 was because cabbies switch shifts at 5. Therefore, if they have to switch in Brooklyn they cannot take a fare to LaGuardia and get back in time. Good to know. Also, he said always hail a cab on a street that is going in the direction that you want to go. Most of nyc streets are one way; therefore, don't try to get a cab on 6th (one way north) if you want to go downtown.

  • New Yorkers love their dogs. They are an accessory as much as a pet. They love it when you admire it and ask to pet it. I wonder if Diego or Joe would do well on a leash? Also, I have noticed that most owners look like their Fido or Spike. What does that say about the lady with the bulldog? ohmygosh...just as I wrote this she and the dog came out for a walk...I am going to find out its name (and maybe her's too). Speaking of Joe and Diego, I have included pics of them tonight.

  • I found a wonderful pub and a good friend last night. The Yankees were playing, and I watched the first couple of innings at the apt while I at a dinner. However, I soon felt compelled to go out among others who may share in my euphoria or disappointment (as it turned out). Natalie, the owner, is great. We talked forever. She has an amazing story about moving to nyc when she was 17, to South Africa for 7 years when she was 21, and now she is running the Barrow Inn. She is a musician, so we discussed musical influences...we both agree that KT Tunstalls is amazing. We swapped some names. She suggested Missy Higgins and Sarah Bareilles; told her to check out Susan Tedeschi. I am already establishing a neighborhood. Hercules on one corner, Natalie on the other, the funny Hispanic guys that sell me coffee and bagels in the morning...It feels good to take roots a bit.


No comments: