Friday, October 12, 2007

The West Village is Full of Fairies!

I had a wonderful day of writing. This apartment and neighborhood is so conducive to creativity. Also, it turned quite cold today, so I wrapped myself in a blanket, cuddled up with the cats and got some work accomplished.

Tonight, I attended A Feminine Ending directed by Blair Brown (for those my age and older, she is the actor who was Molly Dodd). The cast included Marsha Mason and Richard Masor. The script was quite good, but the acting was full of bad habits and a lack of listening and motivation.

OINK Moment of the Day.
I took the 2/3 Express Train from 42nd. At 14th, I have to switch to the 1 Local. As I got on the 1, a woman with a thick British accent followed me on the train and asked me where it was going. I replied, "Down. Christopher is the next stop." She asked, "Where is that?" As I was answering, "West Village," the doors on the train closed between her and her daughter on the platform. As we pulled away I saw her daughter break into tears and the woman went ballistic! A bunch of kids were goofing around in the car. She yelled at them, " Could all just sit down!"

I tried to calm her, but she wasn't listening, and was yelling about how everyone is so awful in nyc and no one is helpful and the trains are stupid......

When we got to the next stop. I said, "Follow me." I took her across the street and told her to go back on the subway and get off at the next stop. Maybe her daughter just stayed put, and she would be standing there. If not, I will wait back where we just got off, and if she shows up we will come to you. After yelling at people on the street as we crossed about being obnoxious and loud (thank goodness no one had a gun), I got her on the right line. Her daughter was not on the next train, so I figured they found each other, and I headed for home.

I decided to walk the long way home as I did not go for a run today. As I came around the corner of Morton, there was the British woman and her daughter. I said, "Oh good, I see you are all okay." She whined, " Yes, but we cannot find our hotel." I said, "There is no hotel way down here. Where is it?" "By Washington Park," she responded. I said, "If you mean Washington Square Park, you are walking in the complete opposite direction."

I decided the easiest option was just to walk them home. They were from Manchester, England. The mom's birthday is Sunday, and her daughter is 16. As I left them in the foyer of their hotel, the lady said, "You are our New York Fairy Godmother...isn't it weird you helped me twice in the same night in a city of this size?" Nope...it is just the Theory of Dakotativity
.

No comments: