Sunday, October 7, 2007

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night!! Does anyone but me remember the Bay City Rollers?

Yesterday, I caught a matinee of a new play entitled Speech and Debate. I loved it, and it was obvious that there were 3 of us in the audience who had NFL history by our redundant laughter. At this moment, if you are wondering what football has to do with theatre, skip the rest of this paragraph. Scene titles ranged from Reader's Theatre to Extemporaneous Speaking to Original Oratory. Also, every cliche in the book was inserted including "dead duck," and over dramatic and lengthy introductions. The acting was wonderful, and the subject matter of hiding one's sexuality was handled poignantly.

The next ticket I had was for Love Sucks, a musical. This show was showcased in the New York Magazine as a "must see" of this year's New York Musical Theatre Festival. I literally had to run @ a mile to be 10 minutes late. I watched 20 minutes of it, realized that I would never get that 20 minutes back, and life is too short to give it another 90. It was...a bad Grease (which is redundant) wannabe set in 197o's East Village.

I called my friend Michele Pawk who is currently playing Velma VonTussle in Hairspray. Since she had time between the matinee and evening show, we met for pedicures, manicures and dinner. I love this woman! She owns every room she enters through genuine listening and oozing positive energy. Besides being such a big personality, she left her makeup on from the show. She kept apologizing to everyone who came into our path for looking like a drag queen.

I spent the evening watching the Yankees in my apartment with Diego and Joe. It was a perfect way to end Saturday...well, a win would have been nice.

No comments: