Monday, October 15, 2007

Motherhood 101 - Do not put baby in a plastic bag

I finally went to a somewhat "organized" job today! I didn't have to be in until 5, so my plans for the afternoon were to run through Central Park for a couple of hours and have - finally - a nice sit down meal before heading to work. That was the plan.

Instead, I discovered that I had been assigned a prop list that included numerous things including a baby doll, a stroller and a Blackberry. Change of plans. I decided to - literally - do a "prop run." I ran to numerous thrift shops that I discovered while working on the apartment - no dolls. I stopped at no less than 10 cell phone stores, before some wonderful man gave me an obsolete Blackberry (with the battery lid missing). In the meantime, I had scored a pretty sweet flip cell as a backup. The doll continued to be a problem.

As I was running down 3rd Ave., I passed a preschool with 4 mothers, strollers and babies talking outside of it. I ran two more blocks before convincing myself of my own mantra..."All they can say is no." I ran back and asked where they would send me if I needed a doll for a play. All three of them offered to loan me a doll....I love New York. Lisa asked her daughter Sylvia if I could borrow one of her triplets for the week. Sylvia said absolutely not. I told her that her doll would not only have a wonderful adventure and be in a play, but I will bring her back in a new white outfit. It was a deal.

I got up to the Women's Project and worked on getting the packets and other materials ready for tomorrow's Board of Trustee Meeting and Membership Gala. After rehearsal tomorrow, I need to run home, get dressed up and go work at the festivities.

A baby stroller had been found and left for me at the office, so I needed to take that and the copies of the scripts home with me tonight. At first, I looked like a normal New Yorker; I am pushing a stroller without a baby...just 'cuz. Making little sense makes total sense in the city.

It was a beautiful night in nyc (and according to all my midwest reports, the rain is coming), so I decided to take advantage of it and walk over to East 43rd from West 68th to retrieve the baby doll from Lisa and Sylvia. On the way, I discovered a great deal on pumpkins, so I decided to splurge, especially since I would not have to carry it and could just put it in the stroller. The entire walk to grab the doll took me @ 1.5 hours. The doll lives in a BEAUTIFUL condo overlooking the United Nations to their east and the Chrysler Building to their west.

I headed back to Grand Central to grab a 6 Train to Astor Place (I need white spray paint, and K-mart is the only thing open until 10). On the walk back, this very sophisticated woman dressed in off-white from head to toe (the hat was a bit much, but she didn't ask me), was walking toward me on the sidewalk. All of a sudden, she started to scream. She thought that my pumpkin (which was wrapped in 3 grocery sacks and strapped into the stroller because I didn't want it to fall out and lose its stem) was a baby. She thought I had wrapped my baby in a grocery bag and was taking it out for a walk! She still didn't find the humor in it even after I proved that I was only the proud mother of a 13 pound pumpkin. She just stormed off in an off-white designer poof, and I laughed all the way home.

My day ends with a slice of spinach, onion, black olive and broccoli pizza, baseball on the tv and the cats cuddled around me. Can you hear the sigh?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kim-

I think that "Making little sense makes total sense in the city" is one of my new favorite quotes, because it is so true. Only things like the lady in white happens to you in New York (or maybe only happens in NY). Anyways, I hope you are doing fabulously.

Much love!

Haley

mur said...

the story about the all white dressed lady is absolutely hilarious!! i'm LOL at work! i love it!! what a great ending to an eventful day! glad your 1st day of work went well! :)