Friday, October 26, 2007

It Is Wet In NYC...Inside and Out.

On Thursday, October 25th, I had an apartment to clean, errands to run and an appointment at Women’s Expressive Theatre - what a difference from the Women’s Project. First of all, WET is located on the penthouse floor on Lexington and 44th Street. I thought I was in an episode of Entourage- the room we met in was surrounded with sliding smoke glass doors, and I had to make a choice between being served green, black, or white tea. At the Women’s Project, you just clear yourself a spot and get to work.

They had my vitae in plastic coated folders and wanted me to commit to specific days and hours as a volunteer. As much as I love their education mission with high school girls, I am not sure this is the environment for me. They do not seem to do a lot of theatre. It seems that WET is a lot of show, but WP is all go.

Chicago’s Steppenwolf Theatre Company production of When the Messenger is Hot by Laura Eason at 59E59 was my Thursday night choice. It was a funny and gorgeous story of one women’s journey through her mother’s death. I rarely find myself moved to tears in the theatre. This show was not as much sentimental as it was realistically raw. This is yet another play that should make its way to the USF stage.

No comments: