Friday, October 5, 2007

Teaking Advantage of Each Day

Teake left on Wednesday and life has really slowed down. However, before he left, we had one last rush of "hurry & wait." His flight was at 6 pm, so as long as he was on the road by 4, he should be fine. Ahh..no. After he said goodbye to Hercules, we tried without success to grab a cab on 7th Ave (other than Broadway, this is the busiest street in nyc). It was like a Twilight Zone episode...The Day of No Cabs.

We booked it down to Houston (pronounced HOW-stin unlike the more know Texas metropolis) because that street runs east-west which will take him right over the Williamsburg Bridge. Good strategy - no cabs.

Already long story short, we did not snag a ride until 5. We had a few of nibbles of drivers pulling over to ask our destination, but once they heard LaGuardia, they just drove away - adding to our frenziness. It was a quick kiss and a hug and my travel buddy was gone..into the sea of a Manhattan rush hour. Thank God that Teake is the Bartling MacGyver. If he misses his flight, he will figure out the next step.

He made his nyc flight but missed the Minneapolis connection. Like I said, he just took care of it. When he called me, he had already booked himself on the next flight, found the terminal it was leaving from and was heading of to spend the layover time having dinner and doing homework.

It was already a bit lonely without him yesterday. Once Teake started to talk when he was 20 months, he really has never shut up (I know, I know, what goes around comes around). About a year ago, Teake not only found himself a social life outside of me, but he also began speaking in monosyllabic sentences like his pubescent peers. I have found this distressing. He told me once when I was lamenting his choice of hanging with friends instead of going to a ballgame with me, "Mom, you had me found 16 years; it is time to spread the wealth."

Anyway, I had this wonderful nostalgic moment with Teake when he was here. I had to ask him once to please quit talking for awhile. We did this hourly when he was little. He took it the same he did when he was four....he smiled and gave himself a vocal timeout...for about 5 minutes.

No comments: