Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Skinny on Size in the City.

As a professor and advisor, I have always said that Sundays are toughest on girls. I don't know what it is, but Sunday evening are - many times on college campuses - filled with nostalgia and sessions of "poor me'" and homesickness. I fell into that cesspool today for the first time. Because of my dad's hospitalization, I have had other episodes of wanting to go home. However, today I found myself lonely in this city of 9 million.

My first remedy was to walk it off. Since I normally love Sundays in New York, I went in search of good energy. I headed to Washington Square Park and enjoyed numerous buskers. I walked all over the East and West Village, Soho, and Chinatown. My second remedy was universal to all women - shop. This activity can be tricky for those of us bigger than a size 8. In fact, it can actually add to the blues. To be Nordic and Midwestern is considered diverse in Manhattan. It is a city of petite colorful people, many of direct European, Middle Eastern, and Hispanic decent. The women will understand this...you know how the sale racks in the Midwest are full of size 2 and 4? In New York, they are heavy (pun intended) with sized 10-16 because we are few and far between. That is what one calls bittersweet.

Perfume always fits as does jewelry. Also, the current fashion of "pregnant looking" sweaters that is hot right now, works for me. I feel better and my wallet feels lighter.

Currently, I am down the street at Daddy O's enjoying my first meal of the day. Also, I am watching Game 4 of the World Series. To say the least, the Rockies have been disappointing.

1 comment:

mur said...

very disappointing world series.
you should check out some art to lighten your mood -- or make it worse by seeing works going for a couple tens of thousands of dollars that you've seen your neices produce in 5 minutes -- okay, bad idea.

just make sure you are enjoying everything!! :)