Sunday, October 28, 2007

Fall Weather - Spring Awakening

Saturday was a cold and rainy day in New York City, so I did they only thing I could. I went and purchased a cozy blanket at the Salvation Army thrift store, came home and read scripts.

Kacy and Whitney called, and they scored Spring Awakening tickets for the evening. I saw it when it was still previews, and - frankly - was not blown away by it. I thought there was gratuitous sexual content and the actors spit so much as they spoke and sang that it took me out of the story. Of course, what do I know...it went on to win the Tony Award.

I am really glad that I saw it again. They had made a lot of good changes. Basically, they trusted the musical more, so they could pull back on the more shock factor moments. John Gallagher continues to impress me as does the young woman who plays Ilse. The concept of taking a story that takes place in Germany in the late 1800s and combining it with a rock genre musical score still sounds like it should not work, but it does.

Afterwards, the girls came down to the Village to visit my apartment. It ended up being a beautiful evening, so we enjoyed coffee, tea and sweets on the fire escape. It was so lovely to have company - especially people as dear to me as these two.

No comments: