Monday, October 29, 2007

The Nightmare of Frankenstein

Today I met with the Halverson girls from Mellette, South Dakota. Jennifer is one of my shining star freshmen at USF. She and her mother came to the Big Apple for fall break, and they are doing it right. I am so impressed with all the shows and nyc highlights they have gotten in since arriving in the city.

After meeting me in my apartment, we strolled through the Village. They dared to eat Thai food with me before we went on a boot hunt. I am pleased to report that Jen came out victorious. They are such wonderful women, and I am so glad we were able to spend the day together.

Next, I met with Kacie and Whitney who were shopping down in my neighborhood. My new friend John von Soosten called and asked if I wanted to see Frankenstein with him at 37 Arts. At first, I thought we were going to Mel Brook's new (old) hit Young Frankenstein; however, he quickly told me that it truly was a musical adaptation of the classic Frankenstein.

This was an amazing cast - Hunter Foster and Christiane Noll! The spectacle was spectacular..the scenic, lighting and sound design were supportive, inventive and impressive.

Unfortunately, the writing was horrible. No relationships were created. Lines and lyrics coming out of their mouths were embarrassing. I can't believe that actors of this quality and experience committed to a project as trite and corny as this. During intermission, I said to the publicist (who was there to review it) next to me..."I think I need chocolate to keep me on my game for Act II (I had no time for dinner and found myself yawning a lot in Act I) ." He said, "I need hard drugs." I caught him checking his watch 6 times in Act II. Unfortunately, it hasn't even opened yet. I think some producer somewhere is taking a huge financial hit.

I am happy to say that I am relaxing in my apartment writing this entry. My internet server has not been working, but the powers that be have rewarded me for sticking out the Frankenstein fiasco. I am again online!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What shows did Jen and her mom get to see?