Thursday, October 18, 2007

Talk About Stretching a Buck...

Yesterday I slept in a bit as I recuperated from all the excitement of Tuesday. However, it was Wednesday and you know what that means...matinees! Theatre matinees are on Wed, Sat and Sun. On Sundays there are no evening shows and most Broadway houses are dark on Monday. For theatre junkies like me Wed and Sat are golden because we can get double the fix. I have been know to even sneak a 5:00 (off off Broadway) show in on Sat too, making it a triple espresso of theatre. So, for those of you who have ever said or thought, "I would love to go to New York with Kim sometime!" My response is, "Are you sure? It is a lot of running and a lot of theatre."

I tried getting into about 5 shows before I found an education rate. The Roundabout Company's production of Terrence McNalley's The Ritz at Studio 54 offered me last row balcony for $26, middle mezzanine for $36 or middle orchestra for $46. As I was still pretty tired and also very hungry, I opted for the best seat so I would not miss a thing. I than told myself that I would only be allowed one show as I would be exhausting my budget for the day.

I grabbed and gobbled a quick veggie wrap across the street as the show started in 20 minutes. When I took my seat which was absolute 5th row center, I noticed the man next to me was preparing to take notes. I remembered that the last time I was at the Studio 54 it was for the opening night of Three Penny Opera with Cyndi Lauper and Alan Cumming. I think I had the exact same seat which had just been released by the producers. I sat between Lauper's agent and Wallace Shawn, the playwright who had written this new adaptation. Mr. Shawn is best known as the actor who played Vizzini in The Princess Bride and Mr. Hall in Clueless. As I sat down, I said, "Mr. Shawn, I am a big fan of your writing. Aunt Dan and Lemon is one of my favorite scripts. It is an honor to sit next to you." He said, "Likewise...and who are you." After I told him who I was, he was fascinated because of the politics in SD (this was last fall during the Roe vs. Wade debate and the whole nation was watching). He was particularly knowledgeable about the subject. As the lights went down, he said, "I would like to talk about this further after the show." Then, he did the oddest thing...he pulled out his ratty old backpack from under his seat, unwrapped a hard boiled egg that was wrapped in paper towel; he peeled and ate it. We did talk after the show, and he is as brilliant and charming as he is quirky.

Okay, back to yesterday. I asked the man why he was taking notes. He said that his name was John von Soostetn, and that he worked for satellite radio. After today's matinee there was going to be a live recording of a interview with Rosie Perez and Kevin Chamberlain - the leads.

At intermission we spoke more about it, and he asked if I would please formulate a question because getting the audience involved in a Q and A is always difficult. Also, it would be on national radio, so I would be heard from coast to coast.

Also, during intermission, I asked John if he had any contact info for Terrence McNalley as he had said that he had meet him a few times. I told him that in 2002, I took some classes with McNalley in Valdez, Alaska (along with Edward Albee, Rommulus Linney, Paula Vogel and Emily Mann). However, it was McNalley who said to me, "Do art where you are. If Chicago, LA or New York are your ultimate goals, you will be disillusioned and disappointed. You can make a bigger difference in Sioux Falls than anywhere else." I have since adopted that mantra of "Do art where you are" as the thesis for numerous speeches and workshops that I have given. I totally agree.

I love being here, I love studying here, but I also can't wait to go home and share it with my students and community. Anyway, when I first met McNalley, I told him I was from Podunk, SD. He continued to use that phrase throughout our workshops, "Even if you are from Podunk, SD there is work and art to be done." When I returned home that summer, I found this shirt downtown Sioux Falls that had Welcome to the Boondocks - Podunk, South Dakota. I bought it for him and have held on to it for the past 5 years. I brought it along to nyc knowing The Ritz was opening and maybe I could get a glimpse of him. John told me to wait until after the radio interview, and he would help me find someone who could get me to McNalley - Score!

I loved the show...but what is not to love? Terrence McNalley's writing, Joe Mantello's direction, William Ivey Long's costumes, and Studio 54! I was amazed that a show that was first mounted in 1975 about a gay bathhouse a)did not seem more archaic in language and subject and b)was charming and sweet it was. I do not typically like farce, but this production is different. It was an American farce which makes it all a bit more palpable for me.

At the radio interview and audience talk back, there was a gasp and giggle when I had to announce my name and state. People always react this way when they hear "South Dakota." The most common response I get is, "I do not think I have ever met anyone from South Dakota before." I think my comment-question went something like this," Thank you for a wonderful afternoon of theatre. It was an honor - Mr. Chamberlain and Ms. Perez - to watch you work, and to borrow a word from Mr. McNalley, it was a "sumptuous" performance. I am a huge fan of Mr. McNalley's writing. I would like to know how involved was he in the the rehearsal process and how accessible has he been to you and the production?"

As I waited for John to wrap up his radio obligations, the young man who had me sign the radio waiver before I asked my question came over and said,

Young man: My parents are from SD."

Me: Where?

Young man: Mitchell

Me:What is your last name?

Young man: Gerlach

Me: Like Shawn Gerlach (SDSU theatre/Rep alumni)?

Young man: He's my cousin. Actually, my folks (which is such a SD word) are from a little town outside of Mitchell

Me: Mount Vernon?

Young man: Wow. Yeah.

Young woman with him: That's amazing.

Me: No, that is the Theory of Dakotativity.

Young woman: Yeah, I am from Minnesota, so I understand that.

Me: Really? Where?

Young woman: Mankato.

Me: Did you go to MSU?

Young woman: No, Duluth.

Me: Great program. So did you study with Tom Isbell?

Young woman: Yes, he's the reason I went to Duluth, and he's the reason I am here.

Me: See, Theory of Dakotativity works everywhere.

It turns out that these two actually work for Roundabout Company and they will get me the McNalley contact info. Cool.

John - from Satellite radio - asked me if I got what I needed from them. I said that I had and thanked him. He then asked if I seen the Roundabout's other productions. I said that I had seen Speech and Debate, but I had yet to see Pygmalion and The Overwhelming. He said that he had tickets to all their fall series shows, and that he would love to share them with someone who loves and appreciates theatre as much as I. So, tonight I am seeing The Overwhelming and tomorrow Pygmalion. My $46 splurge has certainly paid off.

I finally went and treated myself to a sit down dinner last night - the first one since Teake left. Eating warm vegetable lasagna was the perfect way to end the day...almost. I then popped in the Barrow Inn to share a glass of wine with Natalie. Once again her establishment was patronized by the most eclectic group of people. She is so kind to each one. From the English tourists to the nyu female rugby team to 4 businessmen playing pool to the 3 bikers around the jukebox to the old couple with no teeth at the end of the bar. She knows almost all of them by name...and they each other.

It had been another full day and learning and living.



2 comments:

mur said...

bartling. you are so amazing!! i wish i could be like you.

mur said...

pygmalion -- claire danes, broadway debut -- how was she? and how was jefferson mays? erin and i saw him in I AM MY OWN WIFE while we were all there. let me know your thoughts on the experience.