Sunday, October 14, 2007

2 bagels, 2 plays, and 2 new friends

After fighting a night of flu-like symptoms during the evening, I woke up late but actually felt good enough to go for a run. I enjoyed the Hudson Park path which runs all the way up and down the west side of the island. The wind off the Hudson River was cold but invigorating.

I showered and wolfed down a bagel with lox and cheese before dashing to the Atlantic Theatre Company to see Scarcity. The writing was reminiscent of Sam Shepherd and George Walker - gritty, blue-collar drama with quirky character. Kristen Johnson was wonderful and owned the stage. I love the Atlantic space because you are practically onstage. It is fascinating to watch the acting choices that close.

Between shows, I found this little restaurant called Las Ramblas on 4th Street. I only had an hour, so I read and enjoyed calamari and a soda. Two women eating next to me asked if I wanted to share in their cheese plate. Turns out they both used to live in nyc and were in town, and this was their favorite restaurant. One of women was Wendy Torrel, is a retired nyc police officer, who now writes children's book. She had a copy of it on her...it is really a beautiful book entitled, Guardian of Dreams. I am going to have our kids work it into a performance piece and sent it back to her...I love the way this city works. By the way, you can get the book at Barnes and Noble.

Walmartopia at the Minetta Lane was a wonderful surprise. It is a satire on what will happen by 2037 if Walmart continues to take over the world. For an obscure off-Broadway project, this musical included a lot of heavy hitters in its cast. Moreover, it was a strong political piece. There was a talkback with the actors, and I was impressed by most cast's passion and knowledge on the subject of Walmart's contributions and detriments to society.

After walking around the Village for an hour (I love Sundays in NYC), I came home, cleaned the apartment and treated myself to hot cocoa and a bagel. Goodnight.

1 comment:

mur said...

will you be shopping at walmart again any time soon??? what was walmart's future like in 2037 - hopefully non-existant!!