Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Five Dollars for Your Thoughts...and pictures and plants

The highlight of the last couple days was celebrating Marci Levy Maguire's birthday. What a wonderful evening of conversation (some political discourse that became heated yet respectful), good food and tons of laughter.

A couple of OINK (Only in New York) Moments.
  • There was this elderly African American gentleman who was eating at an outside cafe. He was dressed so elegantly. It was all very Edwardian....Bell Topper Hat, Spats, vest with tails, knickers, tights and even a cane. It sounds very costumy, but in truth, he looked beautifully classic. I asked him if I could take his photo. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Sir, you look quite dapper; may I take your photo?

He: For 5 million dollars

Me: I will give you my overwhelming gratitude?

He: 500,000 dollars

Me: How about my undying love?

He: 50,000 dollars

Me: I will smile and sing you a song?

He: 5,000 dollars

Me: I will let you take my picture in return?

He: 500 dollars

Me: I will share your style with all my friends and family around the world when I post it on my blog?

He: 50 dollars

Me: Please sir?

He: 5 dollars?

Me: All of the above and pretty please?

He: 5 dollars?

Me: Really?

He: 5 dollars.

Me: Seriously?

He: 5 dollars.

Me: You are not going to let me take your photo?

He: 5 dollars.

Me: Did you know you were in the Village? This is not Times Square where everyone is out to make a buck. I just wanted to compliment you and share your impressive presence.

He: You can....for 5 dollars.

(Exit Kim - End of Scene)

  • The other moment was on 28th where the wholesale florist shops are located. They sell to the public too, so I went on a mission to find an ivy for my gorgeous patio window. The store that I walked into was obviously preparing plants for some event. They were trying to create tissue paper flowers that they were placing in huge cactus. Even though they were all speaking Spanish, which I only understand muy poco. However, I did surmise that they were dismayed by the look of the flowers. So, I rolled my sleeves up and got to work. I taught them how to make tissue paper carnations and roses by folding and cutting them just right. This is a skill I learned in 4H...thank you Yahoma 4H and Sharon Kringen for yet another skill that has bettered mankind. Please get a visual picture of this...me - the Amazonian Nordic - and 4 vertically challenged Latin men pumping out fuchsia, lime green and turquoise tissue flowers. I got a gorgeous Ivy...at an impressive discount.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey,
I just found out about this place...
COOL!
Looks like your having fun!
Call me!

TAy