Thursday, November 22, 2007

South Dakotans in the Subway

Wednesday's rehearsal involved good news and bad news. The bad news was that I was still put in the corner and spoke to as if I had never seen a theatrical performance in my life by the director. The good new was we were released early so I could come home write and deliver notes to some individuals that I am interested in interviewing. As I was leaving Laura Pels Theater (I left a note for Sam Robarts), the actor Mark Blum was walking out. I introduced myself , we had a lovely talk, I gave him an outline about my work, and he said he would contact me...once again, we will see.

Okay, here is where things the Theory or all Theories related to Dakotativity occurred. I was suppose to be in Washington Heights about 2 hours earlier. I hurried down into the subway just to have the A train door close right in front of me. As I was letting out a "Sugar!," I hear, "Mrs. Bartling?"

I turn around to see Theresa Flannery (O'Gorman HS class of 1994). Unbelievable. Also, there is her brother Michael (O'Gorman HS class of 2000). We did the what? who? where? They both live in New Jersey and work in the city. She then said, our whole family is here for Thanksgiving - "my mom and dad are here!" A little background...Marlene Flannery (their mother) raised Teake Bartling. She was his babysitter from the time he was 1 until he went to kindergarten. This is an amazing and dear woman, as is her husband Jim. The next thing you know, we have made plans to combine the Bartlings and the Flannery's for Thanksgiving. Love it.

They went their way (they were on their way to Central Park to watch the parade balloon inflation), and I went mine.

What a beautiful view of the Hudson and George Washington bridge from her neighborhood (West 181st Street). I want to return to walk the Cloisters and see the west view in the daytime. After we got groceries, we had dinner and made a strudle, that she is taking to the Hamptons for Thanksgiving.

I went back down to midtown, bought flowers and dropped them off a theatre where my friend Ben works (he is one of the few stagehands who is working). Ben is one of Mitch Maguire's best friends and lives in the same complex as Mitch and Marcie. Since the Maguires invited me to share Thanksgiving, I wanted to send a small gift.

Dick and Teake got to the apartment about 10:30. It was such a beautiful evening, so we walked around my neighborhood, grabbed a couple of slices of pizza, and perched on my fire escape for the evening. It was perfect evening...until Tyler Bartling called at 4:30 wondering how to turn the water off in our house. He got up to tighten his shower knob as it was dripping,. Unfortunately, the knob fell off and water was pouring everywhere...chaos. I just kept sleeping as Tyler and Dick talked it through.

1 comment:

mur said...

what's the stagehand striking all about? what exactly is your job w/ the women's project, what are they doing putting you in the corner?!! they are crazy.

i'm glad teake and dick got there, too bad about tyler and the water!!is tyler coming to visit you before you leave?