Sunday, November 18, 2007

"...and I took the road less traveled by. And that has made all the difference.”

Rebecca Patterson, the director of Wapato, the show that I am assistant directing, suggested I see 1001 by Page 73 Productions. The description of this play by Playbill Magazine reads "This updated retelling of One Thousand and One Arabian Nights marries global conflict to modern-day relationships (with dashes of Edward Said, Monty Python, and Jorge Luis Borges mixed in) to explore the Israel-Palestine conflict." Wow. This is the genre that I am eager to learn more about. It combines traditional storytelling, mythos, fantasy, and pop culture multimedia. The weaving of Scheherazade, 9/11 and world religions was as entertaining as it was enlightening. I wandered off the pure contemporary realism trail and loved it! The production values were gorgeous and the performances complex; yet, the weaving of numerous characters (by only 6 actors) and stories was clear. There is a moment where the sea is created with a simple blue fabric that was breathtaking - we used to do this same exercise in Brandon Elementary with parachute cloth. Who knew it could be to beautiful on stage? I hope this will be the beginning to new worlds and travels on my theatrical journey of varying genres.

No comments: