Monday, November 5, 2007

Happy Labor Day to Me.

Happy 24th birthday to Tyler Bartling! My day today was much more relaxing but not as productive as it was 24 years ago. This is only the 3rd time that I have not been with Tyler on his birthday. No cake, no special lunches, no Ninja Turtles...just sending my love across half the country.

I spent the better part of the day reading, writing and preparing myself for the directing interviews if and when they happen. I found a wonderful coffee shop on Charles and Greenwich to settle and work.

Tonight, I attended a book signing by Stephen Colbert and the writers on his television show The Colbert Report and in his new book, I Am America (And So Can You). I had to stand in line for about 2.5 hours, but it was worth it. I met lovely, interesting people with whom I stood in line (one was David Letterman's nanny). Also Colbert and the posse of people who signed were incredibly friendly and funny. I told them that I was one of three Democrats in SD, so I bought a book for each of us. They seemed to think that was funny. The only woman writer said,
"Wow, South Dakota. You have interesting politics there. Thank you."


Another writer added, "Where is South Dakota?" When I responded, "Sioux Falls," he said, "I have relatives there. Do you know the Zimmers?" Of course, as any good SD could I shared my link, "Well, Zimmer is a very Catholic name, and I taught at a private Catholic school for years. There were numerous Zimmers that came through the system, and there is a Father Zimmer." He confirmed that he was part of that clan....Theory of Dakotativity.

My choice of a blue font is deliberate in respect for the events of the day. This blog entry is dedicated to my siblings Thad and Jennie. Here's to love, liberty and agreeing to disagree (please forgive the unparallel sentence structure).

1 comment:

mur said...
This comment has been removed by the author.