Monday, November 19, 2007

Kimmy in a Corner

Padma Lakshimi and I at the Strand Bookstore in Union Square

I started rehearsal on Wapato today at the Women's Project. When I woke up, I threw up. I did not sleep well and had only got about 4 hours of winks. I really did not want to miss rehearsal, so I got it together and hailed a cab for 62nd Street.

I tried to act like I was fine, but my stomach finally got the best of me, and I had to remove myself from the table. I did not want to miss the first read and table work, so I sucked it up and sat in the corner.

First there was an equity meeting and we waited for an hour outside. I asked what they do in there and was told that they sacrificed small animals and practiced their secret handshake.

Next, we did the first reading. These actors are amazing; the women are all over 60 and the native man is around 30. They are true professionals. The characters and play unfolded before us in that first reading. The play is touching, sad, humorous and thought provolking.

I really enjoyed watching Peggy Stafford, the playwright, watch and listen. She fell in love with them and was transported by their reading. Her facials were lovely as she reacted to her words coming out of their mouths.

I started to feel better in the afternoon but still stayed away from the table. During table work, I offered 2 items of thought. Both times, I was facially and subtly verbally reprimanded for contributing by Rebecca, the director. I thought it was odd as I only offered about 4 sentences total. Also, since I had told her that I would do some digging around my SD sources about Crazy Horse, I thought that it would be appropriate to offer some of my finding when the Rebecca and the male actor discussed their ideas for research. I received the same coolness. After rehearsal, Rebecca knelt down next to me and explained that nothing was to be brought to the table unless it was playable on the stage. She did not want the actors' choices muddied with material that could not propel the action. I thought my points did offer items to chew on. Furthermore, I was reminded that my job as the assistant director was to be the voyeur for the first couple of weeks.

I have to admit, I left feeling a bit confused and a lot embarrassed - the later is not something that I typically allow to happen. I don't take myself too seriously, but I do take what I do seriously. I was thrown for a loop. Rebecca and I really clicked at our first meeting, but I felt totally out of place today.

I still had a upset stomach when I got home, so I had some warm tea and went for a walk around the neighborhood. I hesitate in posting this "poor me" entry, but all opportunites have to start somewhere...this one can only get better. I plan on rereading the embarrassment chapter in the Bogart's book before I go to bed.

I sought out "good things" to help me end my day. I strolled over to Strand and Padma Lakshimi from Top Chef was talking about her new cookbook. I have never seen a more beautiful woman in real life. To say she is stunning is not enough. Padma was quite approachable and signed, signed and signed books.

Next, I stopped in and browsed around in an upscale funky thrift store. Everyone in there was so nice to me. The first salesperson commented on my earrings and coat and told me that I really had a great style, the next asked me where I was from because I just gave off a good energy. Believe it or not, they weren't trying to sell me anything (in fact, they were working of specific projects). I left and walked around for about 5 minutes before returning to the store. I poked my head in and said, "I just wanted you both to know that I had a pretty sad day, but you two managed to make me smile by just being kind. Thank you for that." "Anytime Sweetheart," was their response.



1 comment:

Brenda Paulsen said...

Dear Kim,
All experiences prepare us for something else whether it's an encounter with other people or in our work. I'm sad that you were put in a "corner" but how good of God to reach down and break through with His touch from strangers.
Happy Thanksgiving, friend.
B