Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving Leftovers

Dick and Teake left this morning at 6 am. It was so good to have them here; it was truly a special Thanksgiving.

I worked at the Women's Project today running lines with cast members. Afterwards, I met up with Jarrod Emick and his girlfriend Lauren Thomas. He had just come from an audition for South Pacific at Lincoln Center and felt very good about it. It was really fun to catch up.


Tonight I attended Oh, The Humanity and Other Exclamations (5 short plays) by Will Eno featuring Brian Hutchison and Mariso Tomei. Who knew? Tomei was quite talented. In her very first scene, she found a raw truthfulness that brought tears to her eyes and ours. Then, she handled comic timing with subtle ease. Hutchison was brilliant, but Marisa held her own...I was impressed. For those students who are reading this, this piece is full of monologue and scene worked opportunities. Some of my favorite lines were:

They were talking about turning one's head to look..."History is the moments of when we did and did not turn."

"War is not hell. It is not organized enough to be."

"We should work at learned to look at each other harder."

"What are you in the middle of?"

"There is a point in life when you look into the mirror and realize that you are not just having a bad day, but that really do just look like this now."

"Try to be more mortal."


Afterwards I talked to Will Eno the playwright. I gave him my info and hopefully he will call. Speaking of calling, Kathleen Chalfant called me today. Actually, she called herself Kathy and was so sweet. I am eager to meet with her.

1 comment:

mur said...

yay for kathy! i'm excited for you! :) i liked those quotes from the play; the last 2 were my faves. have a great day!!!!