Monday, November 12, 2007

A Private Moment at the Public Theatre

I have my days and nights mixed up. I worked all night to get caught up on my blog, but half the day was gone (to quote my mother) once I got going.

Speaking of my mother, today she and my father celebrated their 45th wedding anniversary. They shared a packed lunch while he was getting chemo at Avera...romantic as the day is long. Then, he went home and made dinner for Teake and friends who were celebrating Veteran's Day at they farm by shooting things (I know bad joke). The fact that my dad was fixing a meal is reason to have a holiday; even if only the microwave was involved. Mom went to play cards and then on to circle at church...atta girl! I love you both, congratulations. It has been a trying year for you both. Thank you for showing us grace, patience and love in the midst of life's muck.

Today, once I got going, I left a message for Frank McCourt at Union Square Barnes and Noble. I thought I was going to his reading and signing tonight until Mitch Maguire reminded me that tonight was the finale of Lori Suzan Parks 365 at the Public Theatre. I thought it was tomorrow night!

What a night. I love the performance space at the Public, and this accumulation of Park's work was spectacular. In 2002, SLP agreed to write a play a day. For the past two years, these plays have been mounted throughout the country. In the last year the statistics look like this: over 60 theatres in New York City, 700 theatres nationally, and 1,000 artist in the nyc area were involved in the project. Tonight, 47 different companies were represented. Mitch was nominated by the Classical Theatre of Harlem. How wonderfully ironic is that? The white Irish Catholic guy from SD was the Harlem choice.

For those of you that have had me in class, know that these plays will be used in addition to contentless scenes. Suzan Lori Parks has been called the greatest playwright of this generation by individuals such as Paula Vogel. I would certainly weigh her in. These are scenes that can be attacked for so many angles. One company from Philly, that was represented tonight, added music to each scene...loved it!

For those of you that do not know, Mitch Maguire was the first student to whom I told could make a living as an actor if he so chose (April 1996). Mitch and "the boys" were the reason I left any legacy at all at O'Gorman High School. They thought they were jocks; I added thespian to their resumes (they had little choice, as I was their English teacher and they wanted to pass...true story).

One can imagine how proud I am to watch him perform material by one of today's most celebrated playwrights in one of the most respected theatres in nation. I am honored to have been in the audience.

2 comments:

mur said...

:) if it wasn't for you, he probably wouldn't have been up there!!! great work!

mur said...

and congrats to your parents!! 45yrs is a long time!!!!