Monday, November 5, 2007

The Schetnan Girls' Traveling Road Show

It was a great weekend! My sister Jennie came up from Baltimore to visit.

On Friday, I did my version of the New York marathon that was scheduled for the weekend. I took the subway up to 126th Street (Harlem) and ran Riverside Park and Chelsea Piers all the way home. It totaled approximately 9 miles. It was a gorgeous and refreshing way to spend the afternoon.

Jennie arrived a lot later than expected. She was suppose to be in the city @ 6:50. Unfortunately, her bus driver was new (she realized that when he seemed to be checking a mapquest printout) and traffic was not moving in the Lincoln Tunnel. I was so glad that I did not go ahead and get us theatre tickets because she did not get in until 8:30ish. We went out and had a lovely Italian dinner on MacDougal and Bleeker, strolled around the neighborhood, enjoyed a glass of wine on Jane Street, and headed home. Between my long run and her long ride, we were exhausted.


I asked Jen to go where no person - beside our mother - has ever gone before...my roots needed to be done. I know the two-toned, roots showing hair is actually in right now, but it shouldn't be for anyone over 35. It only took one phone call to mom, so we were quite proud of ourselves. By the way, I had checked with a couple of different salons last week about getting the application done (I have the color, so I only needed someone to apply it). The quotes I got ranged from 35-80 dollars. Yet, another reason to love SD and mom.

Saturday we shopped 'til we dropped. It was so much fun to have someone with whom to knock around town. Boots, jewelry and capes were on the agenda...it sounds like we are superheroes. We were victorious in our mission.

Jen and I are laughers. We enjoy so much of the same things. Besides the obvious that we share as sisters, we also just love to meet new people and laugh. We are the Schetnan girls traveling roadshow...and we crack ourselves up.

Saturday evening we attended the Farnsworth Project written by Aaron Sorkin. The big name that they flaunt in the billing is Hank Azaria, who was quite good; however, the young man who played Farnswarth was the true star. Sorkin's words and timing were safe with Jimmi Simpson. His ability to deliver extended exposition and complex timing succinctly, simply and effortlessly made him a solid match for the experience of a veteran actor such as Azaria.

According to Playbill.com , "The Farnsworth Invention follows the battle for the patent for the invention of the television set. The race pitted Philo T. Farnsworth, a young genius who came up with the idea as a high school student, against David Sarnoff, the head of the Radio Corporation of America (RCA). Using direct address monologues and flashbacks, the two men narrate the retelling of each other's stories as the drama unfolds."

I love it when I leave a play wanting to further study the subject matter. Also, I eye-spyed seats in the orchestra during intermission so that we could move from downstairs and get a closer look at the acting choices. Many times, I enjoy being in the mezzanine to observe directing choices. Because this play was exposition heavy, I wanted to be able see the actor's think.

I thought Jen would enjoy meeting Michele Pawk, so after the show we waitied outside of Hairspray. She is always so gracious. She is a bit frustrated that no one is calling me as she has put in calls to numerous directors. Like everything, I told her that it will eventually pan out. We made a date for Thursday to plan a different approach.

Late night appetizers were on the agenda next, so Jen and I headed to Angus McIndoe to star gaze and eat. We shared the second floor with top brass of the newly opened Little Mermaid and the cast of Phantom of the Opera. Jen saw David Morse on the street...I can't believe that I didn't see him...love him.

We moved downtown so that I could introduce Jen to Natalie at the Barrow Inn and Lucia at Daddy-O's. We had a ball.

Sunday we were in search of two things 1)a good turkey burger for me and 2)football for Jennie. Before we knew it, it was time for her to get back on the bus and return to Baltimore. I spent the night moping a bit as I loved having her here. There are 8 years between us, but as we get older we have gotten so much more close. She has a huge heart, an open mind and love of life that is infectious....our parents "did good" with her.

No comments: