Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Real Women Chose When To Cook

This morning I read The Overwhelming by JT Rogers. I saw the production at Laura Pels a couple of weeks ago, and tomorrow I am going to the MX Radio talkback so I felt compelled to read it. This will be a great text to use in directing class to teach metaphor and the importance of theatre of change on a global stage. I also tried a couple of plays for the Women's Project, but I have to admit that some of them are so obscure that even my huge right brain can't conceptualize the staging.

I had to grocery shop today. The closest grocery store is Whole Foods. This is a huge supermarket of all organic food. Many times, I enter, wander and leave. It is just too much. It is also very expensive. Just trying to find something as simple as salad dressing is frustrating. I think I have somewhat of a sophisticated palate, but when the most common dressing is called Lemon Thai you know that finding a simple Western dressing is not going happen.

I came home and cooked for the first time. Now, to those of you who are gasping...you need to know that even in good ole SF, I only really cook 3 times a year: Thanksgiving, Christmas and a random "'cuz I had a wild hair Sunday." I want to go on record and defend myself. I am a good cook, but when you live in the theatre from Sept.-May and the ballpark June-Aug. there is little reason to look beyond HyChi or Kaladi's. I have been quoted regularly that I'd rather pay an extra $10-20 than clean it up; my time is worth more than that. Wow, that was a classic Bartling diversion.

So today, I not only had a grilled mozzarella and basil sandwich with roasted pepper and tomato soup but tonight I stirred up a bowl of chicken salad with currents and walnuts....take that Martha Stewart.

Tonight I went down to Chelsea to catch Adam Rapp's new play Bingo With Indians. It doesn't open until Friday. It was comically subtle as it was overtly physically and sexually violent. I was reminded of Tracy Lett's Bug. I want to read it or see it again; I guess that is a good sign. The Native American twist was interesting; I would have liked to have had a bit of the rhythm that came with the entrance of the Indian earlier in the piece. The space only allowed for an audience of 30-40 so it was pretty intense.

Afterwards I talked to Rapp, who sat right behind me during the production. I asked him the same question that I have asked so many....time please? He too was gracious and said that he would call me next week....hopefully, I will get a bite soon. I really need to begin the interviews.

No comments: