Sunday, November 11, 2007

American Comic Classics

Thursday evening, former USF student Asher Bowles invited me to see Is He Dead? This play was penned by humorist Mark Twain and featured Norbert Butz one of American stage's most entertaining actors...even his name is funny.

Asher is currently in the MFA playwriting program at Columbia. I am so proud of him. He has and will be studying with some of the most prolific playwrights of our time including Langston Hughes, Edward Albee and Charles Mee.

Is He Dead? was an American farce. I do not typically like farce, but my palate handles American farce much better than English. Asher and I enjoyed the character work immensely. During intermission we moved from the balcony to the front row. To watch Butz milk a crowd as he manipulates his body and throws facials to the audience is to watch a master at work.

After the show, I invited Asher out for dessert and coffee. We went to Angus McIndoe for coffee and banana souffle. As we were "catching up," Mel Brooks and friends entered and were seated at the next table. Young Frankenstein opened Thursday evening, so it seems they came in to celebrate yet another Brooks Broadway success.

When Mr. Brooks returned to the table after leaving to take a phone call, I asked him if he would mind taking a picture with me. OH MY GOSH...he was more than thrilled. He asked who I was and what I did. He asked Asher all about his life and the playwrighting program at Columbia. He kept saying that he could not believe I was from SD and that I was adorable (like that is new news:). He also kept kissing my cheeks. I know, I know....but truly he was just being...Mel Brooks! A little later, a little girl and her mother approached him at his table. He got up, brought her over to me and introduced us. Her name was Leah Horowitz, and she is currently starring as Cosette in Les Miserable. She was absolutely adorable, and we had a lovely conversation. I am big with 9 year olds.

When we went to leave, Mr. Brooks asked me for my contact information. Oh, did I mention that I mentioned that I would love to be introduced to Susan Stroman, the director of not only Young Frankenstein, but she also directed The Producers, Contact, and Music Man? She also choreographed more Broadway musicals than I can list. I had downsized purses for the evening because of all the rain (it was easier to have under my wrap). I forgot to grab some cards - I never go anywhere without cards! He said, "Sweetheart, this is New York! Always go for the big purse!" Then, he took a card out of his wallet, made me write my contact info on it and said he would call me. Can you imagine? "Hi Kim, this is Mel Brooks. How's it going in the Village?" Who know, first Tom Stoppard...maybe Brooks is next?

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Oh! For directing class I researched Susan Stroman...I would be ecstatic if you met her! Her choreography is pretty amazing.