Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Art of Audience

Today's rehearsal was a bit better. I really respect and like the cast. They are a joy to be around. Also, Megan Carter the assistant artist director and dramaturg at the Women's Project is warm and welcoming. I am learning a lot about table work. As a director, I get actors up on their feet and on the boards immediately. I prefer to chew on the words and character development as we work through the movement. Table work for the first five days is a lot, but I definitely see the benefits. If anyone is interested in hitting the Women's Project website the address is www.womensproject.org

One other lesson that I was reminded of today is the importance of making a space welcoming. When growing up, my parents taught my siblings and I to address everyone in a room upon entering and say goodbye when you leave. I think I have done a pretty good job of passing this gracious gesture on to my children.

In the rehearsal space, this is a necessity. If there is someone in the space who has not been acknowledged, introduced or welcomed, there remains a restraint or mystery in the room that could serve as a barrier to the work. Everyone listening, watching and working needs to be an engaged member to the process so to avoid restraint, fear and agenda. My presence in the room is not adding any energy, which is such a loss for everyone. This is a good reminder for me...my rehearsals will always be open. Those in the room will always feel as if they have a voice; it is always incredibly exciting when some Intro student asks a question that leads the rehearsal to another level. A closed rehearsal closes possibilities.

I went to The Brothers Size at the Public tonight. It melded poetical realism, African myth, and colloquial language. The supporting percussion and gorgeous voices found in the musical interludes and sound effects elevated the music of the written word. I love being able to sit in an audience where it is as racially mixed as it was tonight. Cultures response so differently - laughs come at different places, there is more audible response, the audience just seems more connected. It was a replenishing way to spend the evening.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Mmmm...I really get what you mean about an unintroduced person in the audience during rehearsal...it is very distracting...it feels as though they are there to judge you not support and contribute...love the thought that everyone gets to have a voice in your rehearsals...different perspectives can add so much...Your voice and ideas are so wonderful, Kim, it makes me sad for those who aren't listening.