Sunday, November 18, 2007

TGIF doesn't translate in nyc

\
Sarah Jessica Parker (silver hat and fur) across the street shooting Carrie Bradshaw's last column. Julie King and I at the movie shoot.
Showing Minnesota English and Speech Teacher the final watering hole of Dylan Thomas








Friday, I spent the morning sending my newly constructed sabbatical letter off to friends and VIP contacts. Then, I strapped on my tennis shoes and ran to Central Park. There I met Thane and Karen who were just leaving. As Brenda was at the Teachers of English conference, they were exploring the city together. Next, they off to TKTS. I invited them back down to the village, which they did. As my mother's daughter and one of solid German heritage, I felt satisfied that they revisited my apartment which was now shiny and clean.

I took them to the White Horse Tavern (the place of Dylan Thomas' demise) where we feasted on tuna melt, burger and onion rings. It is so much fun to have them in the city.

They no sooner left, than I had more company...from Mankato, Mn. Julie King was a student teacher who taught with me at O'Gorman. However, she was the mom of the talented and brilliant Harmony King first. Harmony represented O'G as a highly successful interper and actor...it is no surprise that Julie was her mother. I cannot believe that we had to come all the way to nyc to catch up. She and her friends/colleagues were also in town for the English Convention. They came down to the W Village to visit and eat Cuban food at Little Havana on Cornelius Street. I did not expect anything other than smart, interesting and fun friends from Julie King....they did not disappoint. I enjoyed their company immensely. How can you go wrong with English and Speech teachers who have traveled the world, experienced the highs and lows of parenthood and are still out there learing and taking risks every day. Our youth are in great hands.

After they gracious treated me to dinner, we walked around the Village. They were filming the Sex and the City movie on Perry, so we watched for awhile...no action. The Minnesota gang needed to get to a comedy show, so after lots of hugs, they grabbed a cab and headed uptown.

I went home for a while (@ 5 blocks away)to warm up and then went back to watch the filming on Perry. I did get a glimpse of Sarah Jessica Parker in her silver sequined cap and fur coat. She waved and spoke to the crowd as it gathered. Interestingly, the scene must take place on New Year's Eve as the extra pedestrians were carrying party hats and goblets, so they brought in snow machines. The scene was shot with snow, but the trees in nyc have not all turned yet. Global warming may have to be a subplot to the movie...snow and green leaves...I smell a Al Gore cameo.

The SD clan was having late desserts and appetizers at Angus, so I grabbed a train and met them. Of course, they had charmed the staff again. I suggested we grab a cab and check out the speakeasy that I discovered around the corner from my apartment. I am so glad that we did. It was cummulation to the Dakotans' visit. Little Branch was fun, unique and mysterious....just like us!!


1 comment:

mur said...

hey! i've been to the white horse tavern!!! fond memories!