Thursday, November 1, 2007

Happy Halloween From the Eye of the Holiday Hurricane.

There was a lot on my agenda for the day. First, I dropped a note off at the Rock 'n' Roll stage door for Tom Stoppard. I though I should follow up with last week's meeting, so I left a card that invited him out for lunch or coffee and a promise of a reprieve in "theatre talk" if he was interested.; however, I would be thrilled to discuss his new play with him. I included the photo I took of him, Trevor Nunn and me. I also dropped off a pumpkin cookie and a fall bouquet of flowers at the Hairspray stage door for Michele Pawk.

To took in the matinee of Edward Albee's Peter and Jerry at the 2nd Stage Theatre. What an interesting production. The first act was the prequel Albee's classic one act Zoo Story. For those who are not familiar with Zoo Story, it is about two strangers who have a conversation in Central Park. This new act shows the audience what happened in Peter's home with his wife prior to going to the park to read. Bill Pullman played Peter and he was okay; unfortunately he was overpowered by the amazing Johanna Day in the first act and the complex performance of Dallas Roberts in the Zoo Story in the second act.


During intermission, I saw Albee sitting in the back of the theatre with this woman. As I stretched my legs, I asked an usher who the woman was with whom he was speaking. It was Pam MacKinnon, the director. After they finished writing notes, MacKinnon walked by me. I told her about my goal of interviewing directors, and she seemed really responsive. She took my card and told me she would contact me sometime within the week. I really hope she does; I am not having the success in getting these interviews conducted as I had hoped. I was impressed with her direction. It was a minimal set, and she paralleled it with minimal movement. MacKinnon trusted the words of Albee. I have never stayed completely enthralled in Jerry's dog monologue; however, this performance not only demanded my attention, I heard the thesis in it. The line "We do not love or hurt because we do not try to reach each other." This play questions the duality of kindness and cruelty.

Next, I addressed Mr. Albee. I told him that I had studied with him in Alaska in 2002, and asked him how the conference has survived the move to Omaha. He said that it is unfortunately really struggling, but in a couple years it should evolve. I told him how much I enjoyed this new prequel to his classic Zoo Story. I said, "I wish more women could write women's dialogue as well as he." He seemed really pleased with this comment as he talked to me throughout the intermission. I had him sign my Playbill before taking my seat. How remarkable that I met Britain's greatest living playwright Tom Stoppard last Wednesday and this Wednesday, I met America'a greatest living playwright Edward Albee.

After the show, I had costume pieces to find. I needed an apron, tennis shoes etc to complete my diner waitress attire. Four thrift shows later, I could not find an apron, but I did snag a green and white gingham curtain that I could cut and sew. I had enough material for a headband and earrings too. 'On the walk home, I handed out candy to little kids who were trick or treating. In nyc, where it is all apartments and condos, most trick or treating is done from business to business.

Halloween in the West Village...it is difficult to articulate. I went to the parade, but as one can see from the pictures, it was difficult to see anything on the route. The real entertainment is actually on the streets, so I took to them. Wow. I finally just gave up trying to take pics of every costumes that impressed me. It was a sea of artistry. I met up with Ann Weisbecker (Richard Simmons) and Matt "Guy" Fiorita (Trailer Trash Mama); this is my 2nd year in a row that I have enjoyed the city's Halloween festivities with Ann. It is a tradition that would be fun to continue.

No comments: