Friday, January 15, 2010

Where Did the Week Go?

It has almost been a week since I posted…sister, students and sickness have swallowed my time. Here is the nyc “did that – done that” list of activities.

Sunday, January 10th: Football with sister Jennie. She is a walking party.

Monday, January11th: I stayed in the apartment most of the day working on classwork. The students and I attended our NYCare orientations so that we can extend our volunteering beyond handing out sandwiches on Tues and Thurs.

That evening, Jen and I had a moment. She looked at me and said, “Did you think 30 years ago when we were living on a farm in rural Garretson, SD there would ever be a time where we would a) like each other enough to continually chose to spend time together? b) Manhattan would be our preferred place of rendezvous? c)we would have the capacity to just rent a “just released movie” on ITunes to cuddle up to? d)be able to call in a complete Mexican dinner that would be delivered right to my West Village studio apartment? Ummmm…..that would be a no, no, no and….no.

Tuesday, January 12th: Jen left early morning, and I slept in as I knew I had a cold coming on. Anne and Jordan came over to write on their blogs. We shared amazing chocolate cookies from Cookies and Milk before we headed over to the Strand Book Store, which boasts 18 miles of books and rock bottom prices. Here I met Steve Hoffman, my dear friend. It has been such a gift to have him in the city at the same time. After applying an amazing amount of self-control and only purchasing 3 children’s books and 1 just for me, Steve and I headed to a coffee shop to solve world problems – or at least artistic one in our world. Did I mention that I love him. My favorite quote of the day came when we were “lovingly” voicing opposing opinions about In the Heights. I liked it a lot more than he. Steve, “I may just be me. I missed the ‘Musical Theatre’ and ‘Love to Shop’ Days in Gay School.”

Tuesday evening, I attended Donald Margulies’ Time Stands Still. It was star packed: Laura Linney, Brian D’arcy James, Alicia Silverstone and Eric Bogosian. In light of the Haiti Earthquake this week , that has stunned the world, it reminded us of the questions, “Are the cameras (photojournalist) there to record the stasis or change it?” A line delivered from one print journalist to a photojournalist was, “We are suppose to capture the truth, not stage it.” My favorite lines of the evening were “Desensitiving Art? Is that possible?” I may have caught them on a bad night, but interestingly, Silverstone was the star. Hmmm.

Wednesday, January 12th: Spent the majority of the day preparing USF’s Page to Stage information in order to submit to the Sioux Falls Parks and Recreation Summer Theatre Program. That is a huge weight off my shoulders. Also, it is official. I have a mega head cold.

Wednesday evening, Haley Ward and I attended Romeo and Juliet at The Kitchen in Chelsae. The show received a glowing critique from The Times, and one of the three member cast was Anne Gridley a 1998 Sioux Falls Lincoln graduated. I judged Anne for four years as a master LHS interper under the tutelage of Rosie Blunk.

This production was not traditional Shakespeare. Instead, it was a collection of individuals’ recollection of the story of Romeo and Juliet – verbatim. Each story was performed by one of two individuals in haphazard Renaissance attire. It, truly was an interesting and funny exercise. I would like to try something like this with bible parables or children’s books. Funny stuff.

After the show, Anne admitted that she saw me about half way through the show. I saw when it happened as she continually kept looking at me like she just couldn’t believe I was there. Funny and lovely actor.

Thursday, January 14th : I was invited over to one of the apartments that I have periodically sublet by the owner Judy. It was so sweet. For two hours we talked art, life and New York City. She is so dear and gave me some great ideas of more affordable restaurants and jazz in our neighborhood. She also made us French Toast and Expresso…mmmmm. After that, I headed to Midtown to meet one of my best friends Michele Pawk. My students stopped by to meet her too. Michele, Teake and I had lunch and caught up. I really wished I lived closer to her; she just brings out the best out of whoever is in her path.

That evening, I went to the Irish Rep’s Emperor Jones by Eugene O’Neil. I have never seen this amazing allegory. The combined work of actor John Douglas Thompson and interesting puppetry was captivating and frightening. The storyline is thus:

Eugene O'Neill's brilliant groundbreaking play, The Emperor Jones, is the story of Brutus Jones, an African-American man who sets himself up as monarch of a Caribbean island following a prison break in the Unites States.

When the Natives rebel after years of exploitation, Jones's mesmerizing journey into darkness becomes a terrifying psychological portrayal of power, fear, and madness. With his demons in heavy pursuit and tom-toms beating, the Emperor is forced to confront the mortal sins of his past in search of forgiveness and salvation.

After the show, I went to hang with the students at Bank Street. We discussed , debriefed and planned. Love them and the way they are living and learning the city.

Friday, January 15th : Michele Pawk had invited me along for a Producer’s reading of Leap of Faith. She ended up having another obligation, so she gave me both tickets. I took my student Anne Wentworth with me. In short, it was inspired. Michele’s husband John Dossett was reading/singing the sheriff. The leads were none other than the male and female toasts of Broadway – Raul Esparza and Sutton Foster. The story worked, the music was exceptional and the performances dazzling. This show is destined to be a hit. I want it to open. I want it to win Tonys. I want to direct it.

Afterwards, I talked to Raul and made a verbal pact to get together in the next couple of weeks. After introducing Anne to Raul, I made her speak to one of her performance idols Sutton Foster. It was a great way to begin a day.

Afterwards, Anne and I grabbed a bite and met the rest of the clan to walk the Brooklyn Bridge. It was the perfect January day to do so. Anne and I headed back because it was our evening to usher at The Women’s Project.

Smudge has received mixed reviews by my “peeps.” Anne and I are the last of the group to see it. I would have liked it more had it not been advertised as a black comedy. Yes, it had a few chuckle moments, but as a whole it addressed sensitive issues that deserve respectful introspection and not flippant throw away lines.

To end the day, Anne and I ate (always free) pizza at Kavaras, walked down Christopher and Hudson and headed home. This may be the best January I have ever had. Thank you students for opening your hearts, heads and hands to all of the people, culture and experiences that make New York, NY.

2 comments:

Vegaia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eric said...

Fun reading your blogs. You do what you encourage your students to do, Grow! I am for sure getting that Fela music when we get home.