Friday, January 8, 2010

Igniting Humanity

Today the students and I split up to deliver flyers all over the East and West Village for The Women's Project. I really love the moments I get to spend one on one time with them. Mariah, Eric and I walked up, down and around the West Village, which is really the only way can move about these crazy, mixed up, round-about streets. The grid of the city, doesn't really start until 14th Street. Before that, just when you think you are heading East your are West, etc. The streets are like the residents of the West Village - anything but straight.

Anne Wentworth finally joined us after arriving from Italy via Sioux Falls, a night's delay in Chicago, and still no luggage. She has been a real travel trouper, and it is always a plus to have her delightful laugh and energy added to the group.

Tonight, I experienced an everything art is suppose to be AND I got to do it with the one student who I knew would love it as much as I did. Eric Perry-Kolvek and I attended Fela!
"Fela! explores the extravagant, decadent and rebellious world of Afrobeat legend Fela Anikulapo Kuti. Using his pioneering music (a blend of jazz, funk and African rhythm and harmonies), the musical reveals Kuti's controversial life as an artist and political activist."

Conceptualized, directed and choreographed by Bill T. Jones, this production was just that...a production. In my lifetime, I am sure that I have seen more than 2,5oo plays. I have seen probably over 500 Broadway and Off Broadway shows. I have directed close to 80....and yet, praise God...every once in awhile, I get to experience a piece of art that ignites a fire under my humanity so fiercely that my catharsis explodes from my body. Between dancing along with Bill Jones in the standing room section and the cacophony of sound, story and movement, I was moved to tears. The choreography was visceral and poetic. The story compelling and inspiring. The performances were grueling and brilliant,

Oh, and Spike Lee was there :)

This whole experience has been a lot of work, but being able to share it with such young, eager and hungry students has been infectious and inspiring. I love exploring the liberal art aspect of my students college education with them. What a blessing.

No comments: