Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Best Lesson A Student Ever Taught Me

Kennedy Center American College Theatre (KCACTF) Regional Five Festival is an extraordinary opportunity for college students. Throughout the week, they participate in acting competitions in which they have been nominated. They attend workshops with experts in the theatrical field ranging from professors to Broadway actors, designers, directors and playwrights. They also attend productions that have been invited to perform. Just to clarify, our region includes: North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas and Colorado. That is a plethora of universities and collegiate productions of which to chose; to say the least, it is a huge honor to be selected to perform. Since my first year at USF, I have been a strong advocate for KCACTF. We participate throughout the year and attend the regional festival every January.

In 2002, I took a group of 20 plus students to the KCACTF Regional Festival . These theatre students were hungry and devored every master class, every panel Q and A and every performance. Amidst heavy hitters like the University of Nebraska – Lincoln, Drake and Kansas State, there was Bismark College’s Laramie Project. After the show, I walked out on UNL’s Lied’s Center with 800 other theatre students, professors and patrons. My ears were ringing with opinions, criticism and ranting. To say the show was not well received would be an understatement. I was unnerved by the assumed superiority of most of the audience. I may not have experienced any catharsis from the production itself, but the masses response to it, could be one of the most moving lessons I have ever learned.

Lando Anderson was a senior who came late to the USF stage. He, like many others, came to SuFu Coo to be a star on the football field. Lando was a successful actor because he led with his heart; he was rewarded with an acting award nod, which meant he could audition for ACTF scholarships. On one of the last days of the festival, Lando and I were walking back to the hotel after, yet, another workshop. That is when he said, “Kim, this has been the most important thing that has ever happen to me. I will never be the same. Thank you.” I am always taken aback by those that know how to verbalize appreciation. Lando’s sincerity melted my heart.

Then, it came to me. We have it all wrong. As an audience, it is not about us.

From that moment on, I have been acutely aware that I have been blessed to be involved in many individual’s “best moment ever.” It includes but is not limited to: the high school students performance at the SD State One Acts, the USF freshman’s first time on stage, the understudy’s first shot at the role, one’s first time of seeing a Broadway show, a theatre student meeting her theatrical hero…..the list goes on and on.

I have applauded in numerous houses on a Broadway opening night. I have stood in the back of the theatre as a student says Shakespeare’s words for the first time on a stage. I have told a high school thespian that I was moved to tears or succumbed by laughter by their 10 minute oral interpretation or their 30 minute in a one act. I have sat in a dark Sundance theater and served witness as a pedestrian becomes a star. I have watched student performers realize he or she is – in fact – an actor.

Did I think that Bismark College’s production of the Laramie Project was superior? In a sense of theatrical values – no. However, I was in the room, breathing the same air as the cast of 17 while they had their best day of their lives thus far. What an honor. What a gift. Thank you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim,

Thanks to you this is a "lesson learned"!

gll

rbreddin said...

I would have to say the KCACTF in Kansas and in Sioux Falls was one of the highlights of my college career as well.
I will never forget the play "When Scott comes Home" by Jeff Baker. In fact I have the script and had asked Mr. Baker if I can direct the play many years ago. I just never found the place I wanted to do it and I suppose some element of fear has held me back.
I think of today and my home church. We will soon be voting to leave or stay the ELCA due to the social statement in regards to pastors being in commited same sex marriages. My heart is broken. I fear my church is going to leave. I will find a new church. But the burn of ignorance and hate has left a mark. Maybe soon I will find the right place to tell the story... because it is definitely the right time.
There are countless other best moments ever I had on the USF stage. I will never forget getting a part not because of my audition, but rather because of my hard work and willingness to remain part of the production in other ways. I always try to extend that grace to others. so many lessons learned!!
Peace!
Becca

MissLiz said...

Cool, Kim! I remember last year during the StateOneActs when you told us that the festival was likely the biggest event for most of the kids, so we needed to do all we could to help make it extra special for them. Definitely a good lesson to keep in mind :)