Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New Worlds and Old Friends

The students are here! The students are here!

Yesterday, I was joined by 6 amazing USF students who will be experiencing the city for the month of January. They left SF for Minneapolis at 5 am yesterday. My dear and supportive friend Bruce Eide drove them to the cities to catch their 11:30 flight. I am so blessed to have friends such as this...people who are truly invested in the arts and today's youth. Thank you Bruce for being in my life!

Hotel Toshi is amazing, and I recommend it to anyone coming to New York. Their spaces are clean, affordable and the personal service is exemplary. I will use them again as I continue to introduce students to nyc.

Once they were in The Village they grabbed a slice and walked around the neighborhood. Today, I took Haley to the Women's Project to start a month internship. The others spent the day familiarizing themselves with the subway, the theaters and Times Square.

I spent the day organizing...again. Because this class is taking place in Sioux Falls and New York City, I rarely get to leave my computer, which crashed temporarily. Joe Roland, the actor playwright from whom I am subletting, came around today and helped me get back online. Whew.

All of the students are blogging. I will post all their addresses tomorrow.

Tonight, I went to The Understudy, Theresa Rebeck's new play. I really love Theresa's work. Spiked Heels will always be a favorite of mine. Also, despite its milk toast reviews, I enjoyed Mauritius very much on Broadway on 2 years ago. This production's cast consisted on Julie White, Mark-Paul Gosselaar (yep, Zach from Saved By the Bell) and one of my favorite actors and Minneapolis native Justin Kirk. Favorite moments: Justin's character is lamenting the trend of movie box office names on the stage to bring in audiences which leaves trained staged actors unemployed, "Movie stars. Movie stars. Movie stars. It is an ongoing cultural disaster." Also, the thesis of the production was the line, "Silence is a defeat." The play is thick with slams toward Rebeck's own livelihood and contemporaries...Jeremy Piven's sushi exit excuse will continue to be ridiculed by those he could only be lucky enough with which to work.

After the show, I had a late dinner with one of my best friends in the whole world. Steve Hoffman, the former Executive Director of the Washington Pavilion of Arts and Sciences is in town for a conference. I had no idea how much I missed this dear, dear friend until we were together again. We just...get each other. I am thrilled that he is here for a week!

To my students Holly, Dom, Liz, Jordan, Jon, Eric, Mariah, Haley and Teake...thank you for making a difference in my life and in the world.

2 comments:

amycross said...

Can I come back to college and take this j-term class? You always do such amazing things with your students. I will never forget my NYC trip with you and my awesome college theatre friends. It seems like ages ago. Hair Spray, UrineTown, Caberet, Burn This, Take Me Out...and a great little Mexican place that Bessie, Ann, Bryan, and I thought we discovered. :) I am sure this new group knows how lucky they are to experience the City with the best tour guide money can't buy; the Queen of NYC. I miss you and hope our paths cross very soon. And fyi, I definitely have a new blog in my favorites!

dakotakim said...

Amy,

It may be cheesy, but all I want you to know is that this comment made me cry. Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words. We had such a great time didn't we? I too look forward to spending time with one of my prized students/