Monday, January 25, 2010

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? practice, practice practice.


I woke up to a text and picture message from Anne Wentworth; she had an allergic response to – we think – a mango. The poor thing looked more like a losing prize fighter than the beauty she is. Unfortunately, she had to stay home from our Carnegie Hall tour to sleep.

Joe Schmaderer is an O’Gorman grad and head of operations for Carnegie Hall. He took the students on a thorough and fascinating tour of the entire building. Learning about this historical landmark and being able to view the spaces from the boxes to the stages was a great beginning to our weekend.

After checking on Anne, I was joined by Teake and Jordan for one of one of favorite lunches at the White Horse Tavern. Their hot tuna sandwich is as classic as the history of this NYC landmark.

Friday evening was one that I have been looking forward to since December when I made a date with former student Tony Kutayli. Tony was one of my “big dog” actors/interpers at O’Gorman. I am so proud of what he has gone on to do with his life. Along with his law degree, he is using all of his communicative and personable talents to make a living and a difference.

Recently moved to NYC, Tony attended his first Broadway show with his “ole’” drama director. How lucky am I? We hit David Mamet’s new play Race. It was a racial version of Oleanna, but the script was still engaging. However, Mamet needs to walk away from directing his own scripts. The staging and acting was not just uninspired it was like listening to Morse Code. Example:

He: Why did you ask him for the financial retainer?

She: (pause)Why did I ask for the financial retainer?

He: (pause) Yes.

She(pause) You are asking me why I asked for a financial retainer?

He: (pause) Yes, I am asking you.

Kill me. Kill me now.

Thankfully, Tony and I had no problem with interesting conversation or lull in timing as we went for a late night dinner at Angus McIndoe. Tony is an absolute joy to be around. I am inspired by his bold enthusiasm to “change it up.” He and I share a love and respect of the city.

In one week, I spent time with three former O’G students. Each of them has molded me as a teacher, director and woman. It has been a long way from riding a bus to Clear Lake for an oral interp tourney or the stage in Sioux Falls. However all three continue to make me proud in the roles they have chosen.

2 comments:

Jonathan Neiderhiser said...

I got to conduct a piece in Carnegie Hall -- I opened the concert, in fact! One of the coolest experiences of my life.

Unknown said...

I don't know about this Tony. I've heard he's a cheapskate and a liar. Matter of fact, he was overheard in a bar shortly after your dinner with him saying: "The blocking in 'Race' was some of the most inspired I've seen. And the dialogue was delivered with such verve and force that I practically bathed in David Alan Grier's spit!"

Also, rumor has it he kicked a puppy once. Granted, it may have been a Chihuahua, but either way it was cute and tiny and he punted it all the way to the Jersey turnpike from the Upper East Side.

No worries, the dog was fine, though Tony supposedly broke a toe. If you see him again Kim, you be careful.