Monday, January 25, 2010

Ann to Anne to Angela to Angus
















Got up early Wednesday to get in line for tickets for A Little Night Music with Anne. From there, she and I did a little boot shopping before I grabbed the L Train for Brooklyn to have lunch with former student and lovely from the inside out Ann Weisbecker. It is always so good to see her. She and her boyfriend (and former student) Matt – Guy – Fiorita are happy and successful in the city. The two of them ran the NYC Marathon this part fall, so it was fun to hear about their adventures and their plans which includes more marathons.

Wednesday evening was another landmark production. Angela Landsbury as and Cathrine Zeta Jones in A Little Night Music was glorious. Anne and I had standing room seats, but at intermission I “eye-spied “ some empty seat in the 5th row…so we crept in. Most of the time, I prefer to watch theatre from the back of the house or from the balcony/mezzanine because I can observe directing patterns. However, with this script/production, it is all about the acting. There is very little movement. To watch Landsbury that close was surreal. Also, Zeta-Jones was wonderful. “Send in Clowns” was in very capable hands. I had forgotten how funny and – somewhat risqué – the script was.

After the show, I passed by Lilly Tomlin, so I told her that it was an honor to be in the audience with her and introduced Anne to her. She was very gracious. Outside, I saw Daphne Rubin-Vega (the original Mimi from Rent). I approached her, introduced myself and invited her to the University of Sioux Falls at any time to teach a master class. She asked immediately if I knew Jarrod Emick and said that coming to Oral, South Dakota (Jarrod’s hometown) would be a hoot. I had to break it to her that we were not even remotely close to oral SD, but that we would love to host her.

Because it was a great night, it seemed logical to top it off with bread pudding and coffee at Angus McIndoe. This is my favorite place in Times Square. It is a small restaurant owned by Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick. Over the years, I have met and/or seen numerous actors, playwrights, choreographers and directors at Angus. Their bread pudding is just the cherry on the culinary and cultural cupcake.

In addition to the pics of Catherine Zeta-Jones, are some random pics from the city.

No comments: