Thursday, January 21, 2010

"Muy Bien" Is a Necessary Communication Tool

The Roosevelt Island Tram was a first for me. It was a beautiful day on Monday, so some of the kids took advantage of it. We also tried to walk around the Chelsea Galleries, but they are closed on Monday. It is amazing how fast this city gobbles up days.

I was to meet my friend Luce at a coffee shop at 5:00 so I had to abandon the student ship to get to Sweet Revenge on time. I have written about Luce numerous times. I met him when I was here the fall of 2007. He works at DaddyO where over the last two years, I have sat on the end of the bar writing numerous articles and drinking my ginger ale’s with 2 limes thank you very much. Over the years, we have shared stories of personal heartbreak, family loss and love, and individual plans for what we want to be when we grow up. Today was a treat to have a couple of hours in a quiet coffee house -no interruptions of taking orders and not having to talk over the music and patrons.

“The USF Boys” and I decided to check out The Upright Citizens Brigade (UCB). They have sketch comedy or stand-up comedy sessions every hour and a half beginning at 6:30. UCB, which originated in Chicago, is where names such as Amy Poehler and Horatio Sanz got their start. At $5 a set (we watched 2), it was a cheap night of original – as some very smart - entertainment. We all agreed that the most successful teams were those that didn’t fall to the lowest common dominator in language and subject. My favorite sketch was two play by play baseball announcers for a Boston Red Socks – Dinosaur/Extra Terrestrial/Magical Begins Team. Brilliantly written and performed. We laughed a lot, groaned once in awhile and even found a yawn here and there.

On Tuesday, I invited the “kids” to join me on a brisk walk to Chelsea Pier. I warned them that I walk fast. They should have believed me. Eric, Anne and Jordan chased after me; we must have looked pretty silly based on city park people reaction as we whizzed by.

I couldn’t wait to see Mitch Maguire and his over the top cute daughter Sadie. I love these two people so very much. I was treated to a warm greeting, familiar friendship and delicious food. I really love the area of New York that they live in – predominately Dominican Republic. The neighborhood bombards ones’ senses. The combination of Spanish and Latin music underscores the colorful scenery…and the food! Mitch treated me to a cod stew from a DR restaurant. It was as rich and smooth and delicious as the culture of the neighborhood.

At six, Mitch and Sadie walked me down to the Inwood Public Library where I was going to read to children as part of NYCares Bedtime Stories.

I don’t know who learned more – the kids or adults. Here is something that I never thought of until Tuesday. All of those children books that I cherish and collect are published in other languages too; in this case, Spanish. So, I headed to the bookshelves and pulled out some of my favorites: Buenas Noches de Luna (Good Night Moon), Olivia Forma Una Banda (Olivia Forms a Band), No Dejes Que la Paloma de Conducir el Autobus (Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus), Crisantemo (Chrysanthemum). It is amazing how quickly languages come back to you when immersed. My New Year’s Resolution was to learn Spanish (I only had one year in college). I am now more committed than ever. The students that attended were all ESL and most of them spoke very little English. This did make me wonder if it would have been better if she read them books in English. The compromise we reached was that we pointed and asked basic words (animals, colors, numbers) first in Spanish and then in English. I had worked with two children. Rositta (5) and Nacho (4). Rositta was liquid as she sat on my lap. She could not be close enough to me and would jabber to me in Spanish like we were old pals. Nacho was a tougher crowd. He spent the first hour with his head on the table. Then we had treats, and that was all he needed – a little fuel. He became interested in the books, but it wasn’t until we moved to crafts that I hooked him with my amazing drawing abilities. Okay…he is four and is easy impressed. Then, I taught him how to cut paper, and we were off! Cutting, pasting, markers – it was an universal language. This sweet, sweet boy did not speak all night until I got him all bundled up in his coat and his parents came to pick him up. “Buenos noches senorita. Gracious.” I wanted to hug him. Instead, I got a high five on street as I walked by the family a few minutes later.

What an amazing program. We need to have this in Sioux Falls for all children. Maybe it is something we could start at the St. Francis House or at Our Lady of Guadalupe? I think I need to talk to Diane VanDenOver in the Spanish Department and Rachel Loven in the Education Department at USF, this would be a wonderful across the curriculum opportunity to serve.

2 comments:

Eric said...

I agree on that idea! Sounds like an awesome time. You should go unattached and walk at a track meet.

Eric said...

and what's better than a quiet coffee house?