Thursday, January 28, 2010

Tony Awards Here I Come?


I attended Arthur Miller’s A View From the Bridge. I have never seen a production of this play before. It was glorious. Scarlett Johansson was quite good, but Leiv Scribner left me breathless. Eye twitches, fighting back a eruption of everything from vomit to tears, and a death scene, this man is the real deal. It was an honor to watch him work. He just….goes there.

I had a standing room ticket, so at intermission, I moved into an empty seat in the 5th row of orchestra. I struck up a conversation with the man to my right. I asked him if sees a lot of shows. He said, “All of them. I write the script for the Tony Awards.” I responded, “Well, then I am sure you have heard of me as I write the Mayor’s Awards for the Arts in Sioux Falls, SD.” I said it deadpan and after a well played paused laughed. He enjoyed the joke. I wish I had asked him for a job as a Tony seat filler…that has always been a bit of a dream for me.

After the show, stopped by DaddyO for my ginger ale. Luce had a spot waiting for me right next to Rachel Maddow. This is the way this went down, “Rach, I have been waiting to introduce you to someone as special to me as you are.” We hit it off. Rachel rocks. I have ofter thought when watching her show, “I want to be her friend.” Now I am.

2 comments:

mur said...

you are too cool! :)

Aud said...

That is fantastic! Tell your new friend Rachel to keep up the good work!