Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Blogs, Bathen and Blues


I am back....on the blog and in The Village. I am not going to ramble about the loss of my luggage because it eventually showed up and I cannot give an interesting play to play on all the amazing things I have seen and done since arrival. In truth, I have slept a lot and spent most of my waking hours on the phone or computer setting up my interim class that is taking place with two different groups in two TOTALLY different cities. The NYC group arrives tonight and the Sioux Falls group started today.

I have been trying to keep my food budget to $10 a day and so far so good. It helps that Jose refuses to let me pay for a piece of pizza! I decided that buying a $13 coffee pot and - of course - Porto Rico Coffee on Bleecker than buying a cup every morning so that was my first major purchase. Bagels, yogurt, granola and pizza...yep, I can live on this with a weekly splurge on Indian Food, or pasta in Little Italy, and the occassional Cuban meal, and a Thai dumpling....ah, who am I kidding? I am in New York.

The only play I have seen so far was Sarah Ruhl's
In the Next Room or The Vibrator Play an the couple behind me were politely quibbling about it. He liked it; she didn't.
She: The lead actress seems too ditzy for the time period it is set in. He: She is a woman ahead of her time.

The play was really interesting (I learned more about the origin of the vibrator that I ever thought I needed to know) and the writing was delightful.

The only other art I have experienced was free. Yesterday in the Herold's Square Subway a New Orlean's style jazz and blue group called Tin Pan was playing. They were fantastic. I listened with many, many, many other New Yorkers on their way home from work. I bought both their cd's and have been listening to them for the last 12 hours. They have a website. Check them out at http://tinpanbluesband.com/wordpress

I am attaching a photo of my apartment's bathen...it is a kitchen and bathroom all rolled into one! It is convenient for those times when you can't decide what would feel better after a long day...a long soak in the tub or a hearty meal? Why chose? Do both at once.

No comments: